• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Pet Names

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I want to see how many good names for pet tarantulas (or spiders) we can come up with. Here are some categories to get people thinking:
Names from pop culture
Typical, funny, or ironic names
Names relating to common or scientific name

Charlotte, Harry, Spidey are some obvious ones. What can the rest of you come up with?

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like mythology or fairytale names best or something a bit sinister for a tarantula although many of mine have a reason for there name eg Pandora who lived in a small box when I bought her. Gemini had a skin in her enclosure when I bought her. I got Delilah just after my dog Samson died. I won fifty pound the day I bought Money. Rapunzel, Coppelia and Candy have innocent girly names (even though they bite. They wont be small forever.) Some of mine have been named after songs like Diamond (Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond.) And Dakota. I still haven't named my new rosie yet though.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always give mine female names so I don't jinx myself for ending up with a male. I did name my confirmed male L. vio Bob though. My hubby wants to name EVERYTHING Bob.

Well, and Itsy, because, well, she is so dang itsy bitsy!

Anyway, I have seen some interesting names on Facebook
Lucifer, Midnight, Stardust, Ziggy, Diane, Joffery, Daenerys, Osha, Shiva, Daryl, Blacky, Siri, Viserys, Blaze, Chica, Pandora, Ripley, Excavator, Aurea

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I'm trying to take my Ts' names out of J.R.R. Tolkein's novels, especially the Lord of the Rings. I have Luthien Tinuviel (Lulu). My two slings will be unsexed for awhile, but a few ideas I've tossed around are Maeglin, Eol, and Morgoth's Malevolence (if I get a particularly feisty T, which it seems my A. genic might be!). I also love the Phantom of the Opera, so I've thought about Christine Daae if I get at least one female. :)

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
I named Aragon after the T in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets..of course lol! I named my Chaco Golden Knee Creature because he looks a little abnormal and different for a Chaco (he doesn't look common..if that makes sense). And I named my Salmon Pink Bird-eater legs because even though it is only a sling she's going to have a leg span of 8 inches and reach up too 11.5 inches! Plus it works both ways for a male or female lol :)

TJB13

3 Year Member
I don't really name any of my animals. They all have names from my wife but I forgot them. I did name my Hadrurus arizonensis "Hades" following a mythological theme. I can't seem to get my hands on a mm G rosea. But when I do his name will be "gangly rose".

Danie Swanepoel

3 Year Member
Golden Knee Chaco - Luke (as in Lucky luke - he is a survivor)
Pink salmon - Sushi
Mexican Fire Leg - Temper (Yeah it is temperamental)
Brazilian Red & White - Calisto
Giant White Knee - Sylvester

micheldied

3 Year Member
Although I don't take names too seriously (and it's probably impossible with huge collections), I pick out names from all kinds of places.

My 3 Chicken Spiders are named Domingo, Carrera, and Pavarotti.
My 2 T. stirmi are Aegis and Tenebrous.
My P. metallica, Blue.
My H. pulchripes named Goldy, and P. subfusca male Marv.
Two B. albopilosum are Randy and Fernando.
My two M. balfouri are Piper and Curie.

Props to anyone who gets all the references. ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most of mine are names connected to their country of origin, rivers, towns, volcanoes.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I named them until the numbers got to high. All my specimen are nunbered.
Names curently in use:
G pulchra
Shadow, Midnight, Phantom, Enigma, Milk, Ebony, Sable, Raven, Minx.......I forget the others
A geniculata Attila
T stirmi Precious
B smithi Charlotte
C cyaneopubescens Jade
G pulchripes Jinx
L parahybana Lacy

Now I only give names to specimen that travel with me to do elementary school, and other, presentations.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Most of mine are names connected to their country of origin, rivers, towns, volcanoes.
I do mine along these lines, or if their coloration reminds me of something. Though for places I take a name that reminds me of their origin (ie Laveau for my T. sp Caribbean Diamond).

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
I let my kids name all ours so there are some funny names,
Incy,= b emillia
Zombie,= g pulchripes
Dave, =salmon pink
Curly, =b albopilosum
Betty=, b smithi
Obi wan,= obt
Madras, =b vagan
I can never remember the proper name for the brazillian salmon pink or the obt I'm going to have to learn them

Will

3 Year Member
Here's how I've named mine

C. cyaneopubescens - Shelob (LOTR fan)
P. metallica - Ghost (because of the manner and speed it moves)
P. murinus 1 - Diablo (because it's a little devil and a formidable hunter)
P. murinus 2 - Gratis (because it was a freebie)
G. rosea - Rosie (...)
B. annitha - Brachy (...)
G. pulchra - Jet (because of the colours)
T. stirmi - Swampy (its conditions)
N. chromatus - Screech (seemed to suit it)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can never remember the proper name for the brazillian salmon pink
That one is Lasiodara parahybana (spelling is probably off) or LP for short.

My names all are word play or characters that have something to do with the spiders common name.
LP - Brazilian Salmon Pink - Named Chum. Chum is a sp. of salmon and i was watching Pawn Stars when i was thinking of names for them.
B. vagans - Mexican Red Rump - Named Redrum - play on the common name and from the Shinning.
B. albo's - orginally named Moe and Larry but my son changed the name on his cause he's a pet dirt box - Missingno - cause he's never seen, and that's also the name of a pokemon character he likes.
The new ones-
B. smithi - Named Scooter after the orange muppet cause i had a brain fart and was thinking they were called Mexican Orange Knee.
A. seemanni - Costa Rica zebra - Named Zeb - that one took a lot of brain power to come up with ;)
A. sp Peru Purple - Named Inca for the Peruvian tribe.
GBB - Named Flash - Flasche is bottle in German so Flash seemed to fit. And after i got him (today) it's a fitting name, he's super skittish and makes my son's GBB look like a tortoise.

My son's not big on naming his, or he will when he feels like after forgetting the Latin or common name ;)

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
B smithi male - mr skinny legs (spider from peppa pig, my daughter named him lol)
B smithi female - adalind (after the grimm character)
G pulchra - apollo
P smithi - willow
3x p metalicas - hetty (james hetfield lead singer of metalica) ronnie & reggie (the kray twins)
T stirmi - zeus

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only named a few of mine. Ron Jeremy, my male Lp. Slappy is the female (because she slapped him and me several times) My hapalopus and campbridgei babys are all referred to as ****head. My three new stirmis will get names, eventually. Im thinking Princess for the female @Metalman2004 just sold me. Never seen such a large spider so gentle. My gbb is Spaz, still have to name a bunch, when they get older. I just think of them as species/sex mostly.

Marija

3 Year Member
Here's how I named mine

L parahybana - Phobia
G pulchripes - Lucifer
N chromatus - Eris Morn
A geniculata - Nova
H sp. Colombia large - Pumpkin
C darlingi - Chaos
B smithi - Shani
P murinus - Sunshine
P cambridgei - Angel
P formosa - Skye

a few more T's arriving in a few days

P ornata - Hissy
P striata - Petra
P vittata - Emma
P rufilata - Rufie

and two jumping spiders local to my area Mali and Apple :)

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I only named a few of mine. Ron Jeremy, my male Lp. Slappy is the female (because she slapped him and me several times) My hapalopus and campbridgei babys are all referred to as ****head. My three new stirmis will get names, eventually. Im thinking Princess for the female @Metalman2004 just sold me. Never seen such a large spider so gentle. My gbb is Spaz, still have to name a bunch, when they get older. I just think of them as species/sex mostly.

I'm glad she is nice to you! She is the only spider to ever threat posture me! It was while I was trying to measure and get pictures of her. I was gentle, I promise.

Attachments

• IMG_4611.JPG
    IMG_4611.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 180

Latest posts