• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula not Eating

Sonorantree

3 Year Member
I know, just wait a bit. But I am nervous after my nearly adult A geniculata fasted then died recently. Here is the situation. I have an adult A chalcodes which molted this spring and ate well (adult Dubias) after hardening up. Now she seems interested in them when I put them in her cage, but she acts afraid of them now. She goes over, taps them, then backs off. Usually several times and then goes to the other side of her cage. She hasn't eaten in 31 days. I have also seen this behavior in my sub-adult GBB recently. She hasn't eaten for 11 days.

So, do Ts size up the potential meal and pass if it is more than they want? Or is there something wrong with my dubias?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hard to tell. Try a cricket. I have a very gentle adult A. Calcodes who has only thrown one threat posture: when I put a super worm in her enclosure. She will not eat them. Throughout most of her life she has liked crickets. After molting 2 mos. ago, she definitely prefers Discoids.
Sorry about your A. Geniculata, but fasting rarely means that they are dying. If there abdomen is plump, just keep the water dish full, and do what I cant: try to be patient. Good luck. Keep us posted.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know, just wait a bit. But I am nervous after my nearly adult A geniculata fasted then died recently. Here is the situation. I have an adult A chalcodes which molted this spring and ate well (adult Dubias) after hardening up. Now she seems interested in them when I put them in her cage, but she acts afraid of them now. She goes over, taps them, then backs off. Usually several times and then goes to the other side of her cage. She hasn't eaten in 31 days. I have also seen this behavior in my sub-adult GBB recently. She hasn't eaten for 11 days.

So, do Ts size up the potential meal and pass if it is more than they want? Or is there something wrong with my dubias?
my son's MF A. chalcodes seemed to switch her diet preference with each (or every other maybe) molt. Like @WolfSpider said try changing what your feeding, maybe crickets would work, or super worms, or even a large hornworm (blue in color, if it's green it has the nightshade toxins), or a couple lateralis roaches.

My B. sabulosum throws a threat pose and slaps any roach or worm i drop in her enclosure. Then when she figures out that they're not a threat she'll eat it.