• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula always ****s on my fiance

Why does Sam defecate on my fiance every time he handles him?

• marking his territory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • he is terrified

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • he does not like my fiance

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

pinkypie

3 Year Member
I have a rose hair tarantula Sam who has a very strange behavior (When I bought him the sales lady told me he was a male, but I am almost certain that he is actually female). This behavior is really strange so you might not believe me. I've never seen this behavior in any pet or animal before. We've had him for a few months and Sam seems to really like me (all animals typically do), but whenever I put him on my fiance Robert, he defecates on him. The first time we took Sam home from the pet shop, he was very friendly towards me, but the moment we put him on Robert, he started shooting hairs, spitting, and then **** right on him. Now almost every time Robert handles him, Sam does his business all over him, and every when Sam goes on Robert's blanket, he does it too. Sam also hops, cowers, thumps, and runs away when Robert touches him or goes near him. But, when Sam goes on me he becomes very calm and rests his entire body against me and lets me stroke his back. He also seems to like my best friend (male) quite a bit. Robert is very hurt because he doesn't understand why this spider seems to hate him. lol. :p He now never wants to handle Sam again. What do you think is going on?
337149_205873476212628_134128612_o.jpg

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First of all, your tarantula does not like you or your fiance. It tolerates you. The reason for the erradic behavior towards your fiance is likely due to the way he approaches the tarantula, It's definitely nothing personal. There is no way to break the tarantula of this
"habit" you have to break your fiance of his habits. It can also be the result of to much handling. The tarantula gets nothing out of you handling it, and would prefer to be left alone. I'm not saying don't handle it, I'm saying handle it less. Let the T get comfortable in it's home, and handle once a week(or less). Now this may all be for not, and your T just might have a short tolerance for hadling. Try to learn its body language, and handle accordingly.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Very weird that he does it every single time...
I mostly agree with Kenny. Try to find a good balance of enjoying your T but also allowing him to de-stress. Who holds the tarantula first? Do you always get him out and then give him to your fiance? Maybe it's just timing...