• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T stirmi question

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Just looking for some advice regarding my juvenile t stirmi. About 4 weeks ago it blocked off the entrance to its burrow, i could still see inside and it would just sit there all day, i tried feeding but it refused it. About 2 weeks ago i checked and it had completely blocked off the entrance so i can no longer see it. Ive left pre killed mealworms at the entrance every few days and none have been taken. Obvious signs suggest pre molt. I know i should just leave it alone, but given the molt issues that can occur would it be ok to move some of the substrate and just look in to check or just wait it out. The temp and humidity are fine and water bowl is full at all times. What are the approx times for a t stirmi to go into pre molt and actually molt then emerge?

Also id like to ask about my g pulchra sling, it always stays on the lid of its enclosure, substrate is dry, small water dish (bottle cap) and hide are in the enclosure.

Thanks in advance.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would leave the stirmi alone, let it do its thing. It's best not to bother them, and if the stirmi is going to have issues molting, there's not a whole lot you can do to help it. You have to be patient. If your conditions are good, you've done your part:)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would leave the stirmi alone, let it do its thing. It's best not to bother them, and if the stirmi is going to have issues molting, there's not a whole lot you can do to help it. You have to be patient. If your conditions are good, you've done your part:)
Yep what he said :)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
My 3-4" juvi stirmi recently molted. It didn't web and block its entrance but stopped eating, moving and all. Mine was so "swollen" it actually started leaking clear fluid around its abdomen which I later found is normal and sometimes happens. With this species, pre molt can take a lil while. Be patient. Leave a pre killed prey item every few days, and remove it a few hours later. Keep its water dish super full at all times AND I use a Gatorade bottle with holes in the kid to do the rain effect in its enclosure, to add some humidity. Just don't soak it....and good luck. I was lucky. I was able to watch and video her whole molt. It was amazing.
image.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 3-4" juvi stirmi recently molted. It didn't web and block its entrance but stopped eating, moving and all. Mine was so "swollen" it actually started leaking clear fluid around its abdomen which I later found is normal and sometimes happens. With this species, pre molt can take a lil while. Be patient. Leave a pre killed prey item every few days, and remove it a few hours later. Keep its water dish super full at all times AND I use a Gatorade bottle with holes in the kid to do the rain effect in its enclosure, to add some humidity. Just don't soak it....and good luck. I was lucky. I was able to watch and video her whole molt. It was amazing. View attachment 13769
I was wondering when you posted about the clear fluid, is that due to Theraphosa not having that waterproof cuticle other spiders have? I had a mm but never noticed the fluid..course he only molted once in my care..

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I was wondering when you posted about the clear fluid, is that due to Theraphosa not having that waterproof cuticle other spiders have? I had a mm but never noticed the fluid..course he only molted once in my care..
That's what I was told and it makes sense. Weird, and scared the hell out of me at first.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is the result of beieng over fed. The swollen abdomen begins to fill with excess fluid in preparation for the molt, this causes further swelling; literally to.point of bursting. With so much pressure the fluid begins to seep out.
I do not allow my stirmi abdomens to get larger than the diameter of the carapace.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is the result of beieng over fed. The swollen abdomen begins to fill with excess fluid in preparation for the molt, this causes further swelling; literally to.point of bursting. With so much pressure the fluid begins to seep out.
I do not allow my stirmi abdomens to get larger than the diameter of the carapace.
Actually, I'm beginning to understand that this is for the best if we take this rule for all our Ts: Let the abdomens be the same size as the carapace. ;)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member

What Scoolman said is specially important for Theraphosa spp. I'm pretty sure that molting problems can occur when they are too fat. I did this mistake at the beginning (they are so big = I've to give them a lot of food), but now I'm trying to be cautious about that. And their diet is almost the same as those from Scoolman (well... maybe with a slightly bigger bottom, but could be a matter of taste?).

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Well theres good news and dissapointing news. The good news is that my stirmi made an apperence tonight, the dissapointing news is that theres still no molt [emoji20] didnt spend long out, i only caught it wandering by chance then went back in the hide. I tried to feed a large mealworm but it refused so im guessing it may still be in premolt. Fingers crossed it molts soon [emoji3]
uploadfromtaptalk1453829837547.jpg

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Does a t stirmi get a black abdomen when its in pre molt? Its been about 8 weeks since it ate and its normally an aggressive eater. Its abdomen is pretty much completely bald, and has a sort of smooth/shiny look but it is still a tan colour. My b smithi is in pre molt and has a black bald patch on its abdomen but i wasnt sure if a stirmi would get a black abdomen aswel?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes they do. Not eating is a very good indicator of impending molt with this species. The entire molt process for them is much longer as well. Just be patient.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Afew photos of my t stirmi inside his hide, webbed around himself abit more, not layed a mat yet, abdomen is turning blacker by the day so hopefully it wont be much longer now.
525a5e1b26b4e9eced50e04f34097514.jpg
0322f277c3c27be5d6e1648f8496f8c3.jpg

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Update, still no molt, abit more webbing down and it has started digging/moving substrate around in its hide, im assuming its getting a spot ready to lay a mat. My god i wish it would hurry up [emoji51]