• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T.stirmi 75 gallon paradise build

Sean Bankos

3 Year Member
I currently have a subadult female T. stermi.....shes housed in a 10 gallon and already been through one molt with me. Shes about 7-8 inches long at the moment so I am going to need to rehouse her. I have my eye on a 75 gallon tank. I want her to feel at home like in the jungles of Guyana .....I am thinking about adding a misting system and maybe a small computer fan for ventilation....basically a similar setup as dart frogs with lots of live plants (bromiliads, air plants, pathos, peace lily, moss) but mostly on the back walls so she got some room to dig and move around. I am not sure how to heat this thing or weather it would be a good idea to add a small waterfall. Also plan on adding a foot or two of soil for digging purposes. Thoughts? I willing to put a few hundred dollars into this project.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Personally i wouldnt put a fan in. Too much risk of the T hurting herself. As long as the lid has some ventillation but not too much then the humidity will be ok with a large water dish and occasional misting. Misting once a week seems enough for mine as long as the water dish is full. I added spring tails to my stirmi enclosures to reduce any mould growth and help keep it clean due to the high humidity. Mine seem to do fine at room temp (25°c) or therabouts. Adding spagnam moss and mixing in vermiculite to the substrate will help retain moisture and aid humidity.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I currently have a subadult female T. stermi.....shes housed in a 10 gallon and already been through one molt with me. Shes about 7-8 inches long at the moment so I am going to need to rehouse her. I have my eye on a 75 gallon tank. I want her to feel at home like in the jungles of Guyana .....I am thinking about adding a misting system and maybe a small computer fan for ventilation....basically a similar setup as dart frogs with lots of live plants (bromiliads, air plants, pathos, peace lily, moss) but mostly on the back walls so she got some room to dig and move around. I am not sure how to heat this thing or weather it would be a good idea to add a small waterfall. Also plan on adding a foot or two of soil for digging purposes. Thoughts? I willing to put a few hundred dollars into this project.
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here, really good bunch. JohnnyP's advice is spot on. I would avoid the fan too. Not worth it. Your plans sound awesome. I had a A. Geniculata in a 190 litre aquarium with loads of planting and roots ets but my plants were plastic as they do not need the humidity the same as stirmi.
This may inspire? ......and do share pics of your finished project ☺
20151025_162652.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love that tank phil, i think i need to get myself something like that in the future and have a central display piece [emoji6]
Thank you. It was a Juwel Trigon 190. They are not cheap THOUGH! about £500 if bought new. Look around on well known auction sites etc and you can pick up real bargains though. All you need to do then is pursuade the Mrs that it is a good idea.......lol

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Ive seen afew on ebay for around 300 second hand. Haha i will have to work on that, ive only just managed to pursuade her i need a couple more Ts, she wasnt thrilled to agree but i think she will get over it lol

syzygy

3 Year Member
Nicely done. I'm curious if they roam around and seem to enjoy having the extra space.
I've always thought it would be fun to do something like this.

Will

3 Year Member
If you're investing a few hundred dollars, it might be worth checking these out:

www.biopod.com

No need to worry about heating, ventillation, lighting, humidity. All automated, and it even has a HD camera so you can check up on your t stirmi when you're away from home.