• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Molting Support Group for Noobs*

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll post a picture later on the "Fact and Fiction" thread. She's still sitting next to it and I want to leave her alone, so she can rest.
Last night (I'm in the UK, in case you're wondering about my odd posting times, lol) I was worried she might lose one of her legs, because when she was back upright, one of her "back legs" was at a very odd angle and it looked like she had difficulties moving it. This morning they all look normal though, phew!
I think it might be between my A. versi, T. Gigas and P. met of who goes next (if the LP slings doesn't surprise me and molts first). My Versi has been webbing a lot since his last meal, looks a little duller and is now hiding. My gigas just looks premolt with a shiny fat bottom and my P. met sling is ignoring its food and has webbed what looks like little hammocks at the bottom of its plants.
Glad everything went ok. :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:( She seems to have lost a fang during her molt. This dropped out her molt when I prepared it
IMG_6560_zps702d97de.jpg

I know it can happen and it'll grow back, but I'm still a bit gutted. Hopefully it'll not affect her eating

On the upside, I think I can definitely determine that she is indeed a she (not that I don't trust the shop)
IMG_6559_zps9670924a.jpg

IMG_65592_zpsab133d51.jpg

NYX

3 Year Member
I am sorry your girl lost a fang. :(
As long as she is able to eat she should make it to the next molt. I have read about this happening to other T's.
I would ask some of the more experienced T keepers on here if there is anything you can do for her. Maybe pre kill her food once she can start eating again?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, I was thinking about that, too, NYX. I can also get wax worms and other softer food. Obviously I'll leave her for at least 1 or 2 weeks before trying any food. I've not been able to take a proper look, as she keeps herself turned away. Time will tell, but I'm sure she'll be fine.

Frances Pauli

3 Year Member
hug {{{Entity}}}} my N. chromatus loves to give me moutly fits. She does it in secret and THEN she tosses out cryptic, tiny bits of molt for days that are impossible to use for sexing! (and so, of course, the "she" is wishful thinking only)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hug {{{Entity}}}} my N. chromatus loves to give me moutly fits. She does it in secret and THEN she tosses out cryptic, tiny bits of molt for days that are impossible to use for sexing! (and so, of course, the "she" is wishful thinking only)
Thanks for the hug...lol whyd i get that?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, I was thinking about that, too, NYX. I can also get wax worms and other softer food. Obviously I'll leave her for at least 1 or 2 weeks before trying any food. I've not been able to take a proper look, as she keeps herself turned away. Time will tell, but I'm sure she'll be fine.
She'll be fine fuzzy. U dont NEED 2 straws to drink from a cup. Just empty the cup slower with one straw! :) These little bugs have it GREAT if u ask me! No predators to worry about and get waited on pedipalp and foot. and foot and foot and foot and foot and foot and foot and foot.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:( She seems to have lost a fang during her molt. This dropped out her molt when I prepared it
IMG_6560_zps702d97de.jpg

I know it can happen and it'll grow back, but I'm still a bit gutted. Hopefully it'll not affect her eating

On the upside, I think I can definitely determine that she is indeed a she (not that I don't trust the shop)
IMG_6559_zps9670924a.jpg

IMG_65592_zpsab133d51.jpg
Hello
I have heard of extreme cases of bad molts,maybe 2-3 legs left losing palps etc. One thing I have seen,they are damn resilient. You can see if she battles to take prey down, if so just incapacitate them a bit help her along in the healing process if need be.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My T. Gigas sling is molting at the moment. I expected it, because it had been looking very round and shiny and its prosoma was quite dark. Fingers crossed!

NYX

3 Year Member
Good luck Fuzzball! Thinking my little A. geniculata is going to molt any day now. See a tiny dark spot and like you said very shiny! :T:

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's finished: Seems like T. Gigas are fast at everything, lol. Just when I checked it, it flipped back over.
My LP sling is looking quite dark, so hopefully it'll put me out of my misery and molt. The GBB sling looks the same as the Gigas did, fat and shiny and the A. versi juve has gone into hiding and only comes out for the occasional drink. My P. Met sling has not eaten for what seems ages, but I find it hard to tell with it whether it looks premolt or not. Only the Rosea doesn't show any signs of growth (she's a Subadult anyway) and the B. Boehmei sling is still out and about (although it looks really fat again and I only feed it once a week. Probably won't feed it until it's molted again as to me it looks too fat and I don't want it to have difficulties)
Anyway some pics:
IMG_6565_zpsde46269a.jpg

IMG_6566_zpsdf9b6262.jpg

IMG_6574_zpsc83923b3.jpg

IMG_6575_zpse6c8b0b6.jpg

Its a jellyfish
IMG_6576_zpsc3885848.jpg

IMG_6577_zpse199915c.jpg

IMG_6580_zpsd719a24d.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I cannot get over how much bigger the little one is. The size difference of its prosoma makes it look like it's on steroids, lol, and the legs are a lot longer, too.
There was also quite a bit of a colour change, too, going from the same shade of orange as a GBB sling to a nearly fox red. Little stunner!
IMG_6581_zpsd5d811c4.jpg

IMG_6582_zpsc5b35db1.jpg

IMG_6583_zps7d85f059.jpg

It's currently trying to figure out why it won't fit into its web tunnel properly. It's also doing lovely press-ups and stretches. I might play "The eye of the tiger" for it for motivation, lol.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lmao. little tiger butt working out to eye of the tiger....lol sounds fitting to me!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I finally got to see my little b. smithi after 2 weeks of it being sealed in. Not because she came out but she burrowed next to the glass. guess ill get to watch until she figures out there r prying eyes and seals that off too! lol

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fuzzy, u ever figure out if ur one T did loose a fang or not? get a good look at her underside yet?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fuzzy, u ever figure out if ur one T did loose a fang or not? get a good look at her underside yet?
Not yet. She's only moved around inside her log. I'm hoping that it was only the tip of her fang that came off as her chelicerae look normal from what I can see. She seems fine though, just getting used to those new long legs. Yesterday she stretched that much, she looked like a Poecilotheria sp.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Finally was able to get the molt. Unfortunately the book lung bit was to shriveled and small so sexing is not possible. Oh well, next time.
IMG_6584_zpsd9f5ef81.jpg

IMG_6585_zpsc23d3152.jpg

IMG_6585_zpsaf2b0f15.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not yet. She's only moved around inside her log. I'm hoping that it was only the tip of her fang that came off as her chelicerae look normal from what I can see. She seems fine though, just getting used to those new long legs. Yesterday she stretched that much, she looked like a Poecilotheria sp.
Yeah hopefully. Im sure shes fine. :) keep me posted i was just wondering about her.

Latest posts