• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Molting Support Group for Noobs*

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As I wrote before my Boehmei was sealed first in her burrow and then her hide, both for nearly 4 weeks. It was absolutely fine, but I definitely understand your worry and frustration. If it won't take food, just occasionally mist the enclosure so it doesn't dehydrate.
If it's any comfort to you: I rehoused my Boehmei sling after his last molt (it's about 1" LS), still provided a half dug in hide, but it has not used it since and is always visible now (until its next long premolt probably, lol).

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As I wrote before my Boehmei was sealed first in her burrow and then her hide, both for nearly 4 weeks. It was absolutely fine, but I definitely understand your worry and frustration. If it won't take food, just occasionally mist the enclosure so it doesn't dehydrate.
If it's any comfort to you: I rehoused my Boehmei sling after his last molt (it's about 1" LS), still provided a half dug in hide, but it has not used it since and is always visible now (until its next long premolt probably, lol).
Also Mrs. fuzzball. U say mist the enclosure? i keep water in the bowl and every other day i use an eye droper and mist 1 side of the enclosure and a little bit in the corner of the subsrate but she is down in her burrow. Not to sound too awful dumb. but this will keep her hydrated by keeping the humidity up in the enclosure?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, I didn't know you had a bowl. I don't think you need to mist her then (I was going by when my sling was too small/bowls were too big, lol). If she needs water, I would assume she'd go and get it herself.

noahdamngood

3 Year Member
Hello everyone. I am new to the hobby and I think that my 2" g pulchripes is in premolt. When I first got her (i'm hoping it's a her for longevity, and have a pic of her in the vent sexing category), she was active for a few days. Now she just stays in one spot at the side of her enclosure. When I check on her in the morning she has moved the substrate around but is back to the side of the container. She has shown no interest in eating on the few attempts of feeding since i got her. She appears to be more sluggish then she was at first. I do know that another from the same batch of eggs has recently molted at the shop where I got her. She is absolutely adorable, however, she definitely has me worried.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, I didn't know you had a bowl. I don't think you need to mist her then (I was going by when my sling was too small/bowls were too big, lol). If she needs water, I would assume she'd go and get it herself.
Yeah i have a bowl not full i just put some droplets around in it with an eye dropper and spritz the side of the enclosure some.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone. I am new to the hobby and I think that my 2" g pulchripes is in premolt. When I first got her (i'm hoping it's a her for longevity, and have a pic of her in the vent sexing category), she was active for a few days. Now she just stays in one spot at the side of her enclosure. When I check on her in the morning she has moved the substrate around but is back to the side of the container. She has shown no interest in eating on the few attempts of feeding since i got her. She appears to be more sluggish then she was at first. I do know that another from the same batch of eggs has recently molted at the shop where I got her. She is absolutely adorable, however, she definitely has me worried.
Worried....this is a good place for ya man. But not eating and being slugglish is definetly symptoms of premolt from what everyone is telling me and i am reading. But the fact of the matter is, all u can do is make sure he/she has water attempt for feed every couple of days and try not to worry. Thats all u can do....can i get an AMEN! I should really practice what i preach. and not worry!!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just got home from work and checked in on my little simber. All her door are still the same.... {sigh...}

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My A. Geniculata is on her back at the moment. She's taking her time, I tell you, I came home at about 4.30 and apart from the odd leg movement, nothing is happening, arrgh!
As I said to my husband earlier: The corn snakes shedding isn't half as nerve wrecking as the spiders molting.
At least this time she's in full view, so hopefully I'll get some pics (without disturbing her too much). Go girl!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My A. Geniculata is on her back at the moment. She's taking her time, I tell you, I came home at about 4.30 and apart from the odd leg movement, nothing is happening, arrgh!
As I said to my husband earlier: The corn snakes shedding isn't half as nerve wrecking as the spiders molting.
At least this time she's in full view, so hopefully I'll get some pics (without disturbing her too much). Go girl!
Yeah id like to see :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's on her side now, nearly out. I know, spiders don't have face expression and such, but to me she looks absolutely shattered, the poor thing.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's some pics
IMG_6553_zpscc77af73.jpg

Push it, push it
IMG_6554_zps4afd9486.jpg

IMG_6555_zps7e77da0a.jpg

IMG_6556_zpsc2af3962.jpg

IMG_6557_zpsa710626d.jpg

One tired T. Look at her little toes sticking up
IMG_6558_zpsce4f88be.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah thats gotta suck. Shes gotta be tired. How big is her molt?
I'll post a picture later on the "Fact and Fiction" thread. She's still sitting next to it and I want to leave her alone, so she can rest.
Last night (I'm in the UK, in case you're wondering about my odd posting times, lol) I was worried she might lose one of her legs, because when she was back upright, one of her "back legs" was at a very odd angle and it looked like she had difficulties moving it. This morning they all look normal though, phew!
I think it might be between my A. versi, T. Gigas and P. met of who goes next (if the LP slings doesn't surprise me and molts first). My Versi has been webbing a lot since his last meal, looks a little duller and is now hiding. My gigas just looks premolt with a shiny fat bottom and my P. met sling is ignoring its food and has webbed what looks like little hammocks at the bottom of its plants.

NYX

3 Year Member
Well my Gbb molted looking like its his last 'ultimate' molt. I see his bulbous pedipals in full glory! Lol
@Entity I noticed it takes about 2-3 weeks for them to molt once they get the darkened bald spot. Atleast to my records so far. Slings are quicker than adults. I am sure the species effect the outcome as well.

@noahdamngood yep seems if they refuse food and stay still its molting time! Lol also balding darkening of the abdomen and molt mats out of webbing.

@Fuzzball79 congrats on the Successful molt and awesome pictures! Finally saw a molt personally really quite amazing how evolutionary these creatures are.

NYX

3 Year Member
Thought I would take the time to share some information derived mostly from The Tarantuals Keeper Guide about molting to have on this thread.

Technical terms: intermolt, proecdysis, ecdysis, and postecdysis.
Laymans terms: intermolt, premolt, molt, and postmolt.

Actually a smooth uninterupted cycle.
Adult tarantulas usually molt at the same time every one to two years.
* my advice keep a record of molting times so you are prepared to an extent!

During premolt: a new exoskeleton is grown inside the old one. This can take several days to several weeks.

(This is when the bald patch occurs and as the coloration encroaches the darker shades the closer to the actual molting process the tarantual is. )* new world species

Also a tarantula is vulerable during intermolt due to the fact sensory nerve endings are now passing the newly made exoskelton as well. Touch, sight, smell, and motion are all effected and diminshed.

Apolysis- when the bald patch turns its darkest. The exuvial fluid is secreted between old and new exoskeltons. Enzymes digest one layer of the exoskeleton.

Now it is time for the molt. Most tarantulas molt flipped on their backs. They are not dead!!! They may spin a molting mat or cradle prior to the molt.
Depending on the age of the T molting may take as little as 20 minutes to as long as two days.

Postmolt: The new exoskelton swells and expands while it hardens. You may see your T in strange positions like laying completely flat and stretched out. Do not fear! They are trying to get the most out of there new suit of armor.
Since the lining of mouth and the pumping stomach are also shed a tarantula will not eat untill completely hardened for more mature tarantulas this can be up too 10-14 days.

* Do not touch a tarantula from premolt until it begins to accept food after it molted*

Terrestrial species will often seek refuge in a burrow not only for protection but also for the humidity factor.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well my Gbb molted looking like its his last 'ultimate' molt. I see his bulbous pedipals in full glory! Lol
@Entity I noticed it takes about 2-3 weeks for them to molt once they get the darkened bald spot. Atleast to my records so far. Slings are quicker than adults. I am sure the species effect the outcome as well.

@noahdamngood yep seems if they refuse food and stay still its molting time! Lol also balding darkening of the abdomen and molt mats out of webbing.

@Fuzzball79 congrats on the Successful molt and awesome pictures! Finally saw a molt personally really quite amazing how evolutionary these creatures are.
Thats cool! :) thanks for the info. ..kinda sad though...no more molt for the gbb. :(

Latest posts