• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suprise eggsac (week in) advice?

Spidro

3 Year Member
Hey everyone, just realised theres a breeding section so thought id post this here. Last tuesday i came home to find my p.cancerides had laid eggs and i watched through the night as she wrapped them up, truly amazing. Anyways, this is my first of 2 ts, had her for about 3-4 months and im just looking for any help. Ive researched a lot and i think the plan is to hatch these guys and raise/sell them. By the way i called the pet store where i got her who said its about a 60/40 they will be fertile. I guess my main question right now is; do i go ahead and feed momma now? She was crafting for a week, in which i didnt feed her, now its been 2 days since shes finished. Been keeping humidity around 60-70, and she always has water. Any other advice would be much appreciated, will post some pics when i get them to work. Cheers.

Spidro

3 Year Member
Most don't feed while Mom is caring for a sac. Keep her water dish full and leave her alone as much as possible.
Thanks for the reply, I will also not feed her then for now :). You say "caring" for the eggsac, what shes done is thrown the sac in her waterdish, she dried it out with substrate, and left it. I carefully moved it out of the waterdish a day after to give her water, but i havent seen her go near it at all. Is that normal?

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
No. She has discarded it. It probably wasn't a good sac. I would take it from her. You could try to incubate it if you want but it probably won't help. How long ago did she discard it? If they were good she probably ruined them putting them in the water dish. They have to turn the sac. Normally they are with the sac constantly.

Spidro

3 Year Member
Ahh i kind of figured that, thats really too bad. She pretty well discarded it immediately after she was finished. Its been a week just on its own now.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Even if it was good it probably isn't now, I've heard from quite a few breeders that they pull females water dishes after a sac has been dropped for exactly that reason.

Latest posts