• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Super Serious Question

timc

3 Year Member
Why do Avics poop so much?!? My Avic avic, diversipes and sp. Peru purple poop more than they eat I swear. All my other tarantulas have picked a corner of their enclosures to do their business usually where they drop their bolus and I can keep it clean. Not these guys. Not at all. It's like Jackson Pollock in there! (Not that I think Pollock's art looks like poop, I actually really like his work) I'm just frustrated because I cleaned the Avic avic's enclosure with water really well yesterday and lo and behold this morning when I wake up there's two new streaks running down the side! I think they do this stuff on purpose to mess with me.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't think they actually defecate more it's just that with it dripping down the enclosure, it let's us see it more readily. :( I swear Urchin (A avic) likes to fingerpaint in it.

Last edited:

timc

3 Year Member
All arboreals are the same, always pooping down the sides of their containers. One of our pokies has a habit of smearing her poop all over too.
But see, my P. rufilata is very clean compared to my avics. There's a streak or two every so often but nothing like the others. However I don't currently keep any other arboreal genus, so maybe my experience is just limited and my rufilata is the exception and not the rule. Either way I'm working to train them to use the little port-a-potties I've designed for them:p

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Pokies are the same,. Love decorating the tank walls. Always the front though where I try to watch them so maybe some truth in them doing it to wind us up. .....☺

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My E. Sp. Red seems to have a thing for leaving her mark on the decor, my B. Sabulosums don't care where they poop. My avic has me cleaning the lid of it's enclosure quite often.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
I did not think about this when I bought my first aboreals (A. versiolor and P. pulcher) earlier this year... they are still slings so I haven't noticed a problem yet.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
SOmeone here, i can't recall who, has an arboreal that poops at them, maybe that's what yours are doing. My avics seem to like one wall to poop on and leave the rest for webbing.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
I've read stories of Avics shooting poop at you as a defense mechanism...not sure how much truth there is to merit that. Mine isn't too messy though

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
SOmeone here, i can't recall who, has an arboreal that poops at them, maybe that's what yours are doing. My avics seem to like one wall to poop on and leave the rest for webbing.
I have previously posted that my A. Versicolor pooped on me when handling once. Only once mind.....lol. Kids nought it was funny when it shot out of her rear end and got me full on.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Yep... So now my A. versiolor crawls around when I'm not looking to poop on the front door of her enclosure.... Just like a cat, I clean it off and it's back the next time I look.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
But...it's an avic!!!!! I adore them, the way they moves melts me every time. My AF Urchin is a slob though. She won't eat dubia but will take them sweetly, kill them then put them in her water bowl.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
But...it's an avic!!!!! I adore them, the way they moves melts me every time. My AF Urchin is a slob though. She won't eat dubia but will take them sweetly, kill them then put them in her water bowl.
That's not a slob, she's keeping them in the dish out of the dirt and web ;) A slob is my son's A. versicolor with substrate, roach legs, poop, and bolus all decorating her web