• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suggestions?

Atx13

3 Year Member
Looking for some ideas on my next purchases. Right now I've narrowed my list down to P. Murinus and B. Vagans.
Whats your favorite species, or what would you recommend?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Depends on what you want. P.Murinus are great spiders, but you won't see much of them. You will however see lots of webbing.(which I personally enjoy.)
B.Vagans, stay out in the open much more and are"better" display tarantulas.
I would pick Murinus over Vagans every time, but I really like webs and burrows.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I mentioned on here somewhere else chile rose for brains and intelligence. A geniculata for looks and big appetite. B smithi for looks and general stunningness. A avic for cuteness nothing comes close. Ive recently purchased two n chromatus slings that i was recommended by staff in a shop they are beautiful. Just my humble opinion im a fan but not an expert.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Depends on what you want. P.Murinus are great spiders, but you won't see much of them. You will however see lots of webbing.(which I personally enjoy.)
B.Vagans, stay out in the open much more and are"better" display tarantulas.
I would pick Murinus over Vagans every time, but I really like webs and burrows.
Same here, Kenny. Webs and burrows are awesome. I was thinking an H. Lividum for that reason as well.

I mentioned on here somewhere else chile rose for brains and intelligence. A geniculata for looks and big appetite. B smithi for looks and general stunningness. A avic for cuteness nothing comes close. Ive recently purchased two n chromatus slings that i was recommended by staff in a shop they are beautiful. Just my humble opinion im a fan but not an expert.
Doh! I totally forgot about A. Geniculata.. they are beauties! If I can find some well started B. Smithi's (1.5-2" range) I'll be adding one to the collection, N. Chromatus, i've never owned, and will be looking into them for sure.
I'm pretty stoked for this upcoming reptile show! hoping they have a few T vendors so i can blow some serious cash on some new children :D, thanks for the feedback guys!

Atx13

3 Year Member
Well I'm biased (since I only own one T), but A. avics are gorgeous and well behaved :)
Totally! The pet shop having an A. Avic is what sold me on getting back into the hobby. Since rehousing my little girl, shes is more mobile, done some webbing.. now if she would eat! lol.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you like webs and burrows I suggest looking into Ephebopus Cyabognathus. (Blue Fang Skeleton)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Totally! The pet shop having an A. Avic is what sold me on getting back into the hobby. Since rehousing my little girl, shes is more mobile, done some webbing.. now if she would eat! lol.
It took Karina awhile to eat as well :) Still haven't managed to see her catch her prey, only seen the aftermath stuffed in her mouth LOL. She hasn't webbed at all though, just loves to hang out on the glass door at the front of her enclosure.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You will have a great time shopping around i hope you enjoy it and get some nice kids! I am quite pleased i got the n chromatus they are lovely looking. One is greedy and the other looks to be in pre moult. I love the genics and think my two love themselves as much lol

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It took Karina awhile to eat as well :) Still haven't managed to see her catch her prey, only seen the aftermath stuffed in her mouth LOL. She hasn't webbed at all though, just loves to hang out on the glass door at the front of her enclosure.
Try offering a cricket with feeding tongs and hopefully you will get to see her grab it. One of my avics moulted last night and i need to get the skin out of his big thick web without wrecking it or upsetting him. He looks shockingly thin on his abdomen i was upset. He ate really well when i got him so hopefully he will fatten up when he recovers!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try offering a cricket with feeding tongs and hopefully you will get to see her grab it. One of my avics moulted last night and i need to get the skin out of his big thick web without wrecking it or upsetting him. He looks shockingly thin on his abdomen i was upset. He ate really well when i got him so hopefully he will fatten up when he recovers!

If you're going to do that make sure they're rubber tipped. A tarantulas could damage its fangs otherwise.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

I have tried tong feeding...she just ignores it completely and/or runs away. I've just resigned myself to the thinking that she just likes to kill in private LOL

Latest posts