• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suggested solution to the spam problem

user 666

3 Year Member
This forum gets more new threads from spammers than it gets from real members. There's so much spam that it is driving me away, but before I give up on this forum I would like to try to fix the problem.

Here's an idea.

Why not make a rule that all new thread have to be approved by forum staff? You can give this authority to a few dozen or score of the established members. This will keep spam out of the forums, and comes at the cost of a minor inconvenience.

I think it's a good trade off.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
This site does have quite a few robots and the amount of spam is a bit "off putting".
I only put up with it because the members, here, seem to be great/friendly (so far, in my experience, they are) and would hate to lose this forum community.

If what you suggest can be done quickly, & smoothly, it may work. That is, if it can even be done to begin with (forum capabilities).
However, most times, this method isn't fairly quick and, more often than not, a poster likes to see their thread come up just after posting it.
OTOH Perhaps it could be better than nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My firm hope is that Josh can install something, to block robots, on the host site, itself, or on the hosted sites (such as Tarantula Forum). This would be the better option.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you see spam report it. Also most of the spam is at a certain time of day. I normally wont come on here that time of day.

@LC72uk reports most of the spam and I delete it but as we are both in the UK we are on different time to you in the US. Unfortunately the 2 Mods based in the US don't seem to be available when they're needed.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
If you see spam report it. Also most of the spam is at a certain time of day. I normally wont come on here that time of day.

what time does it seem to be? I have been fading in and out of the forum because a couple of times I've come on and the new posts page was flooded.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what time does it seem to be? I have been fading in and out of the forum because a couple of times I've come on and the new posts page was flooded.
It starts around 4am UK time and is non stop till around 11am UK time when it starts to slow down.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's only one mod on this forum, and Enn has to deal with this daily. The other two dont participate. I sent Josh a PM before they were chosen, I warned him. Hate to say I told you so, Josh, but meh, I ****ing well did. This forum could become bigger, with a better reputation for open minded advice, opinions and discussions then that other place. I love it here because theres a very friendly and open bunch here, a good core, and people may get cross and vent occasionally, but theres no petty censorship or bans, theres actually some free speech here. The ironic thing is, the more control exercised to help stop things like annoying spamming, the more likely that other restrictions will start strangling the forum. Nothing screws things up like big government

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's only one mod on this forum, and Enn has to deal with this daily. The other two dont participate. I sent Josh a PM before they were chosen, I warned him. Hate to say I told you so, Josh, but meh, I ****ing well did. This forum could become bigger, with a better reputation for open minded advice, opinions and discussions then that other place. I love it here because theres a very friendly and open bunch here, a good core, and people may get cross and vent occasionally, but theres no petty censorship or bans, theres actually some free speech here. The ironic thing is, the more control exercised to help stop things like annoying spamming, the more likely that other restrictions will start strangling the forum. Nothing screws things up like big government
Why dont you become a admin? You seem to be on often enough as well been on here at least longer then a year, and also seem to care about this site. I'd do it since i hardly sleep and on here alot if it only ment deleting spam, haha. But I feel it should be someone with more time on here Nd more experience with tarantulas.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Seems odd to keep a couple of people on, as moderators, if they do not act as (or do not do the tasks of) a moderator.

Would be good to assign another person to be a moderator. One who is willing to do the tasks, of a moderator, along with Enn.
Especially good if it is someone that is in a different time zone than Enn (or someone who is awake during Enn's sleeping hours). Basically taking shifts (though times/shifts could overlap, of course).

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I`m not going to be a "Mod" in the same sense as Enn, i would be purely deleting the Spammers and Parasites and keeping them off this Forum so no one will have to wake up /Log on and find their inboxes full of Parasite crap. because that`s what Spammers and Parasites leave.
Hopefully these Companies will soon get the message that they are not welcome here.
They will be deleted before they even get chance to Register. I will do my best to keep these Parasites away from here:)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why dont you become a admin? You seem to be on often enough as well been on here at least longer then a year, and also seem to care about this site. I'd do it since i hardly sleep and on here alot if it only ment deleting spam, haha. But I feel it should be someone with more time on here Nd more experience with tarantulas.
I appreciate the vote of confidence, but its not my thing :) I would make a better moderatum than moderator:D

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what i can tell, I can see that me being made a Mod will cause problems with other members on here.
So for that I decline the position . I was only trying to help.
Spam can stay where it is, I`m done !

CrypticSpider

3 Year Member
I have tried my damnedest to to get thru to Josh about this issue. I run other forums as Admin, and have the experience to set this place up so it gets no spam at all. It's very easy to do. I too stay away from here because while I like the people here.... this forum is NOT being maintained as it should be. It's not just this forum, it's ALL the forums that Josh owns.

@Enn49 does a great job when she's online to get rid of the posted spam.

If Josh showed even a tiny bit of interest in stopping the spam in it's tracks, I would be GLAD to provide what he needs, with instructions on where to place such things. It can all be placed here in the forum's ACP, and anything that needed to go to the server would have to be placed by Josh. I have no interest in moderating, as I am mostly a "lurker".... Enn49 does well on her own, but if the forum grows as it should, there will be need of at least one more moderator that is on US time to even out the workload.

I agree with MassExodus... this would be a VERY nice forum without all the crazy spam.

My 2 cents' worth....

Good luck, everyone. I am done trying to get thru to Josh.

Belegnole

3 Year Member
I came here because of a few referrals. I do not look in often because the forum is like someone else said....filled with more spam than real threads, or posts. It doesn't really matter if it has "friendlier people" if the forum itself is unfriendly due to spam. On top of that spam is the mark of a dead or dying forum and many will take one look and never come back.

I do not know who the site owner is, but if they cannot or do not respond to the threat to their site. I suggest those who are more capable either take it over or start their own site.

I know this may sound a bit harsh, but it is the truth.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
From what i can tell, I can see that me being made a Mod will cause problems with other members on here.
So for that I decline the position . I was only trying to help.
Spam can stay where it is, I`m done !

I don't see why it should cause problems after all you do far more work to keep on top of the spam without being a mod than anyone els.

Latest posts