• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange behaviour?

Innova

3 Year Member
Scarlet has been acting a little strange lately, in the day she stays in a cork bark tube, then at night climbs. I never worry about this but today she has been hanging on the lid for a while, The substrate was low, so I put more in and reorganized a bit, any idea what's happening ?

Loafman

3 Year Member
I often notice behaviour changes in my T's. I just observe their new behaviour and sit there fascinated by it, haha! We often see them as machines, and forget that their behaviour will change from time to time as they explore, try different things and test their surroundings.

I no longer worry that something is wrong when a certain behaviour changes, it usually just means they are trying something different. I would only worry now if they were curled up in a ball, or playing with matches (?), otherwise I figure they are fine. :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Scarlet has been acting a little strange lately, in the day she stays in a cork bark tube, then at night climbs. I never worry about this but today she has been hanging on the lid for a while, The substrate was low, so I put more in and reorganized a bit, any idea what's happening ?
Not without more info. could be a number of reasons. What species is it? how large is it? what is the substrate? is it moist or dry?

And adding new substrate just changed it's whole world. it may take a few weeks to settle in again.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine do it when weather fronts come in, and anytime there's a big change in humidity. Sometimes when I turn the AC on the dry species seem to like it, and will climb up and bask in the..dryer air I guess? They get close to vents, wherever they may be, like they prefer a breeze. Maybe even the cool air? Regulating? Not sure why they do it..but its normal for mine to climb occasionally.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My B. smithi's don't climb. The larger one, about 2 inches, doesn't climb the walls at all during storms, etc. The B. ablo beside him climbs the walls for any storm, large or small. The only time i've seen the little 1/2" B. smithi climb is when running from a roach that is too large for it, he'll shoot straight up the enclosure wall and onto my hand. Almost like he's stopping and looking around "is it safe now?" lol

Latest posts