• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sting Reports

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Please put your sting reports here. I'll kick it off with Centruroides vittatus, the striped bark scorpion, the most common and widespread scorpion in the states. I've been stung roughly 15-20 times over the last 20 years by wild ones, but only recently started keeping them in captivity. Most were mild to moderate pain, for maybe 5 minutes, and no other symptoms. One sting was in my bed, on my shoulder, as I rolled over on one while I was sleeping. (These are numerous in my area and considered a pest by sissies and the uneducated.) I'm quite sure he was stinging me for some time before I woke up hollering. That one was a little worse, the pain was worse and I could feel it spreading. I went back to sleep for two hours and went to work. When I woke up, the lower half of my face was tingling, my lips were numb, and I was slightly dizzy. Slightly. I didn't treat it or seek medical attention. It went away after a few hours. The volume of venom injected matters... I got stung a few days ago trying to tail a big female that was running from me. She did that little rearward spear jab that they can do, and got me on the finger. And escaped :) No effect other than mild heat/stinging. And feeling foolish.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd forgotten about reporting stings :) A few months ago I got hit by one of my Centruroides margaritata. They're all good sized now so I put them together. One was a molt behind the others, but I didn't think it would be a problem , as they're all well fed, fat little spoiled brats. I was wrong, and a big female killed it. When I reached in to get the body out, I didn't see one of the little ninjas on the cork bark and he tagged me good. No swelling, but I would say the pain is worse then a vittatus..still, not unbearable. No allergic reaction, just localized pain that faded after 5 minutes or so.

Latest posts