• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spider house project

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone, this is the start of my thread for an outside spider house project
So, first thing first, I had a large erection in my garden last night......
20161001_101103.jpg

Naturally I was talking about my 9ft by 7ft tanalised summer house....lmao
Next jobs (no particular order)
1. Replace windows with double glazed and frosted glass (insulation and privacy). There is no direct sunlight in that part of the garden so was able to keep things as by the specification from the shed company I used
2. Insulate all walls, floor and roof
3. Wood preserve
4. Racking installed
5. Heating installed and test runs fro a few weeks to check temp ranges etc.
6. Ventilation

I will keep you all posted on progress but having 66 spiders (4 more on the way) in my bedroom is becoming somewhat difficult.....lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How nice! It's a good looking place too :)
Phil hun what is tanalized?
Thank you hun ☺
TANALISED' timber has been impregnated with a preservative solution under high vacuum pressure in an industrial vessel. This treatment process ensures deep penetration into the timber cells, for a longer-lasting protective result against fungal decay and insect attack than the application of a surface coating. Pressure-treated timber is leach resistant, ensuring a long and trouble-free service life in a wide range of conditions, and assured performance in sensitive environments such as vegetable plots and areas of wildlife.
Not my words but one of the various descriptions on line.....lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Been looking for this thread.
Looking good Mate, gonna be great when that`s done:)
My Neighbours still won`t move out Phil , could do with their Flat to house more T`s:D:T::T::T::T::T:.
You not tried my other suggestions then, no? Mwhahaha:p

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
if it were me, i'd move my bedroom in there and give the T's the whole room where they are now ;)
I have not ruled that out as an option yet either. The kids all want is their own little den. I said if you give up on of your rooms, fine, it's all yours. They are arguing now about who will have to share.....pmsl

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Updates over the weekend.:
1. Yesterday I treated all of the inside wood. Not that you will see it as will all be insulated and covered but at least I know there is an extra layer of protection on it. I reckon this thing will be standing long after I have gone at this rate!
2. Heavy duty padlocks and extra bolts/braces purchased to keep critters in and thieving scumbags out.
3. Spray foam for any gaps applied so totally draft free. ....btw, when you get gloves with spray foam. Use them!! Trust me it sticks like SH1T TO A BLANKET.
That's it for a few days now as work is going to get in the way.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Updates over the weekend.:
1. Yesterday I treated all of the inside wood. Not that you will see it as will all be insulated and covered but at least I know there is an extra layer of protection on it. I reckon this thing will be standing long after I have gone at this rate!
2. Heavy duty padlocks and extra bolts/braces purchased to keep critters in and thieving scumbags out.
3. Spray foam for any gaps applied so totally draft free. ....btw, when you get gloves with spray foam. Use them!! Trust me it sticks like SH1T TO A BLANKET.
That's it for a few days now as work is going to get in the way.
Oh gosh I adore you guys. Got such a visual I'm still chuckling.!
Awesome progress in a short time though. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Damn Phil, I'm slightly jealous, Ok a lot jealous haha! Just think of the peace when your house is a bit manic, "Erm I need to do some enclosure maintenance, won't be long, (sits admiring his animals) ah heaven" lmao
Yes it going to turn into a proper man cave. Think I will pipe music, and TV and install a beer fridge too. For he spiders benefit, naturally :D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well if it's a proper man cave full of Ts then don't be alarmed if a wide eyed Scotsman shows up with his tail wagging :D
Visit any time buddy. There is always at least one or two "scotch weekends" in Blackpool.....lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
looks really cool. has it got air vents ?
Not yet but is on my to do list. I have spray foamed all potential areas for heat loss but will put cross ventilation at the Peak on each side once insulated. ....seems counterintuitive to do that but vents can also be shut off as necessary whereas a draft is a draft.....lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not yet but is on my to do list. I have spray foamed all potential areas for heat loss but will put cross ventilation at the Peak on each side once insulated. ....seems counterintuitive to do that but vents can also be shut off as necessary whereas a draft is a draft.....lol
Vents are a must in the summer time. Otherwise all the heat rises up into the top and gets trapped, then you'll spend twice as much trying to keep the place cool enough. In my parent's house (a log home dad and his brothers built in 1972) i used to hate to go up into the attic in the fall and close the vents for winter as a kid. too dark and scary lol but i loved doing it as a teen. Not sure when it flipped from scary to an adventure ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Vents are a must in the summer time. Otherwise all the heat rises up into the top and gets trapped, then you'll spend twice as much trying to keep the place cool enough. In my parent's house (a log home dad and his brothers built in 1972) i used to hate to go up into the attic in the fall and close the vents for winter as a kid. too dark and scary lol but i loved doing it as a teen. Not sure when it flipped from scary to an adventure ;)
Yep, vents are deffo planned but wanted to make them cross venting and make sure draft proof before doing it. I know that sounds daft when you try to explain??!???
I expect it became an adventure the same time you started to love Ts.....lol

Latest posts