• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

species info

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Does body know were I can get info and caresheets on chilobrachys dyscolus also Orphnaecus Phillipinus and Holothele sanguiniceps .Any info would most welcome thanks for looking .

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep both O. philippinus and C. dyscolus. Both like deep moist (not wet) substrate in which to dig, and they will dig their own burrows. I provide a large water dish for each to keep the humidity up a bit as well. I keep mine at about 72-77 degrees (although you can keep them warmer). Both are very quick, but will normally retreat to their burrows when disturbed.

Here are links to a couple of care sheets for O. philippinus (I keep my C. dyscolus basically the same way)

O. philippinus Care

O. philippinus Care

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Something brought up here,Chilobrachys Dyscolus aka commonly as Burma chocolate brown. I had a specimen brought into my collection as the above,but looking at online descriptions it doesn't look the same since online it is brown. The one I have is now black,maybe another color form or specimen ? Look at tarantula Canada's link
http://tarantulacanada.ca/pic.php?active=info&p=968

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My C. dyscolus juveniles would be the blue form or "Vietnam Blue".

For the OP, care for either of these Chilobrachys species would be the same.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello
I have those as well,I classify them as Chilobrachys sp. Blue or Vietnam blue. The normal accepted dyscolus is brown,the one I had brought into my collection is black. Mmm,this genus needs more looking at.

Gorgeous species. I agree that the classification of this genus leaves much to be desired. When researching this species. I found the brown, black, and blue "forms" all referred to as "Chilobrachys dyscolus". It would be nice to see this sorted out to avoid confusion. The black species is beautiful; are those the ones from Thailand?

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gorgeous species. I agree that the classification of this genus leaves much to be desired. When researching this species. I found the brown, black, and blue "forms" all referred to as "Chilobrachys dyscolus". I would be nice to see this sorted out to avoid confusion. The black species is beautiful; are those the ones from Thailand?
Go and look at Chilobrachys sp. Black Satan yes that's the name,and kaeng krachan. As for dyscolus,they say there is a darker form which is collected in Thailand.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Chilobrachys sp. Black

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419173109097.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1419173109097.png
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 139
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419173156796.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419173156796.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 131

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Go and look at Chilobrachys sp. Black Satan yes that's the name,and kaeng krachan. As for dyscolus,they say there is a darker form which is collected in Thailand.

Ah, yes...I'd stumbled upon the "Black Satan" when I was researching the other species. With a common name that colorful, it sounds like it has plenty of spunk! I will have to keep my eyes open for them. Hopefully someone sorts out the genus soon. although I'm guessing that it will be a while.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Thanks for your input Martin yea there are Burmese I ve got the Brown , black if that makes any sense .

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I could bought chilobrachy black Friday juvie and 2 Black satan slings, I agree there still needs work to be done on id .