• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some of my mantids

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How hard is it to breed mantids? and how many are in a clutch? Im thinking about broading my horizons...anyone wanna help me get started here. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How hard is it to breed mantids? and how many are in a clutch? Im thinking about broading my horizons...anyone wanna help me get started here. :)
I thought about getting into them but they only live for like a year and a half. We get some nice big green wild ones here but I don't have the heart to catch one. Every time I catch a wild invert I end up letting it go..:oops: there's some really awesome looking ones in the hobby though..

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah ive been looking around. i was thinking about breeding some to keep as pets and if i got too many....Spider food!

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
you would have to pull their heads off or something... mantids will put a serious hurting on a spider lol might even win!!!

DewDrop

3 Year Member
They really are intriguing aesthetically. Can they be used as feeder insects for anything in particular? I do not think tarantulas would fair well in a battle of last deserts with a mantis but anything else?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well u could just pull their heads first to make sure they dont mess up ur spiders.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
yeah I know that. I actually grew up in a place where the green mantis and anoles were pretty common sight in the city wilds. Even had grey bobbing huntsman spiders, or daddy long legs. Grey with a little body the size of a pencil eraser top. They are actually endangered now I believe the huntsman. They would get in huge groups and just bob around. The icing on the non literal cake was the huge, giant blue morpho butterfly that would fly around, no where near Peru. Even had banana spiders and pill bugs. SO getting a preying mantis would just be reaching too far back. It'd be too odd having one as a pet for me. I like seeing the pictures of the types that resemble leaves. I caught so many preying mantis as a child and let so many go, I just have no interest in them as pets. Sounds like some kind of theme that perhaps should of come out of Alice in Wonderland. Really however it is an example of exactly what can happen when people have pets that are not native, they get out, they populate in spring, manage to hang on just long enough in the summer or even manage survival of a winter and populate. SO I do try and be careful, very mindful of what it is I obtain in case it gets out. Mantis would cook out in the summer heat here so while it could be a pet, still, no interest for them now however fascinated I was by all that over 20 years ago. Thankfully I never saw the mantis eat each other or do anything gross.

Last edited:

Latest posts