• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some of my mantids

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
Pre-sub adult female Javan shield mantid:
P1010683_zpsf414f53d.jpg

Adult female African twig mantid:
image_zps2229df8c.jpg

Adult female Indian flower mantid:
image_zps1a726dff.jpg

Sub adult female African bud wing mantid:
image_zps919db6ba.jpg

Pair of female Ghost mantid nymphs:
P1010381_zps84150f14.jpg

Last edited:

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
WOW, really cool bugs, I've wanted to get into mantids for some time but the short lifespan keeps me away.
I find the short lifespan to be a plus in many ways. I get to keep new species as my population dies off, and breeding is possible in months not years. Another plus with mantids is they can be handled and some of them seem to really enjoy it. The downside is they need more care/feeding than T's, especially as nymphs.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I feed something every day anyway so that's not an issue. I just wish there were a good 10 year mantid.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
How long do mantids live in general?
Also can someone clear up mantis vs mantid?
The ghost ones look SO cool! Thanks for sharing - what neat bugs! Would you mind adding some mantid photos to our media gallery?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bought a flower, and a twig yesterday. They were cheap and I couldn't pass em up. Should be fun..

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was told 4i but I'm relatively sure that terminology doesn't work for mantids.. so would it be 4L?

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
I was told 4i but I'm relatively sure that terminology doesn't work for mantids.. so would it be 4L?
Yeah with mantids they say L4. You probably have about 4 molts before adulthood. If you keep them on the warm side and feed them well (as much as once a day) they will grow quickly. They need to hang from the top of the enclosure unobstructed to molt successfully. Mis-molts are the most common cause death but the species you have usually don't have any issues. Enjoy them!

Quandry

3 Year Member
Oooh, I love the ghost mantid! We have one for outreach. The little guy (or gal) has been growing. :3 We had a bunch of Asian mantids, but I think most of them didn't get through their moults.

Latest posts