• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some infos...

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cage size is a myth.
actually it's not. I've had a few species that just go into stress curls in oversized cages. Putting them in smaller cages and they're happy as T's can be. Both of my A. seemanni have done this and my G. pulchra.

Smaller cages make it easier to get their prey also, depending on what feeders you're using. My boehmei is lazy and likes to ambush as the prey run by, same with a number of my other T's, they won't go hunting for it like the GBB, genic, and Lasidora species i have.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
actually it's not. I've had a few species that just go into stress curls in oversized cages. Putting them in smaller cages and they're happy as T's can be. Both of my A. seemanni have done this and my G. pulchra.

Smaller cages make it easier to get their prey also, depending on what feeders you're using. My boehmei is lazy and likes to ambush as the prey run by, same with a number of my other T's, they won't go hunting for it like the GBB, genic, and Lasidora species i have.

We moved my son's P. vittata into a larger container but had to move her back after a couple of months as she hid away and wouldn't eat. As soon as she was moved back, she was out and about and eating again.

Chaina Alex

3 Year Member
I would chose the middle one to make a hiding spot, but the right one is smaller. I wanna cover it with coconut fiber and few natural plants, on the other side of the tank i wanna add 1 or 2 sterilized logs, depends the size...
Ordered mealworms, and i wanna ask if it's needed to grow them by myself?
Oh, and which size of the pot should i chose to make a hiding spot?

Attachments

• IMG_20170705_192542.jpg
    IMG_20170705_192542.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Two of mine are in sligtly bigger homes c.versicolor and p irmina. Both do what they always have done and eat with out issue. Weird how other have issue with that. I suppose i provided enough things to hide in to make them feel safe.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would chose the middle one to make a hiding spot, but the right one is smaller. I wanna cover it with coconut fiber and few natural plants, on the other side of the tank i wanna add 1 or 2 sterilized logs, depends the size...
Ordered mealworms, and i wanna ask if it's needed to grow them by myself?
Oh, and which size of the pot should i chose to make a hiding spot?
Any of those pots will work, they'll burrow out a bit under them to make them to their liking.

You can raise the mealworms if you want, I have 1 roach colony that's living well, and another i can't get to breed for anything. Saves a bit of money if you can have a colony that supports your pets ;)

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any of those pots will work, they'll burrow out a bit under them to make them to their liking.

You can raise the mealworms if you want, I have 1 roach colony that's living well, and another i can't get to breed for anything. Saves a bit of money if you can have a colony that supports your pets ;)
what kind of roaches are you trying to breed?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what kind of roaches are you trying to breed?
dubia are breeding well. lateralis won't breed for me at all. going to order a batch of adults this payday and see if i can get them going again. I found a small heat mat i'm going to try and boost their temps with.

Odd that Dubia are said to need higher temps and humidity than lats, but they've double the colony in the last 6 months or so just at room temp and humidity.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
dubia are breeding well. lateralis won't breed for me at all. going to order a batch of adults this payday and see if i can get them going again. I found a small heat mat i'm going to try and boost their temps with.

Odd that Dubia are said to need higher temps and humidity than lats, but they've double the colony in the last 6 months or so just at room temp and humidity.
Thats odd. Normal people have issues with dubias. I wont mess with lats based on the fact they can infest lol. My family wouldnt be to happy with that

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Maybe this will help
https://www.sites.google.com/site/****roachcare/blatta-shelfordella-lateralis-care

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Maybe this will help
https://www.sites.google.com/site/****roachcare/blatta-shelfordella-lateralis-care
must be my humidity levels. First one I've read that suggested misting and humidity over 65%. Have to try that after i order the adults. Then hide them so my son doesn't feed the adults off lol

Tricocyst

3 Year Member

this is a hit or miss theory.. my pokies were extremely skittish and would run like crazy at the slightest movement while in their 32 oz deli contain with a cork hide but now that they are in a 20x20x18 cage with fake vegetation and a full cork bark hide and a bark background they don't seem to be on edge anymore.. just today while changing my fasciatas water she was roughly 4 or 5 inches away and all she did was turn around and move a few inches where as in the container the poor thing would run laps. so I don't believe the cage in this example would bother it.. I think it just needs a few hides

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Thats odd. Normal people have issues with dubias. I wont mess with lats based on the fact they can infest lol. My family wouldnt be to happy with that
I started with 250 dubia in february.. I bet now I have 600+ and I quit with keeping the room hot they are at room temp and still breed like crazy! all I do is feed them dubia dry chow + carrots or lettuce and about once a week or so I'll give them a couple oranges.. only maintenance I do on a daily basis is mist the sides of the enclosure to keep them humid.. dubia are WAY easier to breed then what others will have you believe

Chaina Alex

3 Year Member
Didn't had time ti change her enclosure, and she flipped on her back...

Attachments

• IMG_20170710_132935.jpg
    IMG_20170710_132935.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20170710_233347.jpg
    IMG_20170710_233347.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20170711_002722.jpg
    IMG_20170711_002722.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 19

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's ready. Let her be. Since she is molting out "in public" you should be able to retrieve a good molt. Please give her a week before you stress her with a substrate/cage change.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
as @WolfSpider has said. Do not disturb. Doing what it should. Substrate change etc can wait for AT LEAST a week. I would even try and feed first (again after a week). once taking food a couple of days later change the substrate and put in more hides and other items mentioned. This is the most stressful time for the spider (and their owners!) but just be patient.

Chaina Alex

3 Year Member
New slings arrived :)
P. Irminia, N. Chromatus, P. Lasyodora and H. Colombia - pumpkin patch

Attachments

• IMG_20170920_200817.jpg
    IMG_20170920_200817.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170920_200423.jpg
    IMG_20170920_200423.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20170920_200226.jpg