• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So I have an idea..

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very nice, ur glass aquarium is done right, with a stirmi in mind. I simply meant the average person using a glass aquarium for a tropical T doesn't know how to get it what it needs. U knew what to do, and did a great job.
Well thank you, I put a pretty penny into that setup.

Last edited:

Madzoohouse

3 Year Member
yeah Uline has some almost clear big ones but not crystal clear. I'm curious though, (no not nosy lol)
all that bother why not just get a full sheet of acrylic and build two or three the way you want them?
I agree... The acrylic is super expensive.. I did some experimenting with it myself with the scrap I had leftover from another project..came out alright considering I've never used hot glue before... If you're using cutoffs then I would say what the heck try it out.. lol .....oh and BTW you all gave me some awesome ideas for when my babies get older...thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20151205_012408.jpg
    IMG_20151205_012408.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Excellent! That's what I'm talking about. Cheap, easy large enclosures with good cross ventilation, and you can still view them..I'm doing it asap, I have the acrylic I just need to pick up some hot glue.

Hey Mass live the idea I would use silicone though just my 2 cents reason for that is I find that hot glue becomes too brittle or acrylic glue so it actually can fuse the 2 plastics to one another

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey Mass live the idea I would use silicone though just my 2 cents reason for that is I find that hot glue becomes too brittle or acrylic glue so it actually can fuse the 2 plastics to one another
I hadn't thought of that.. Silicone would hold better..but in this case, would acrylic glue bond acrylic to soft plastic, like sterlite containers?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what about the spray foam stuff like they do the custom vivs with? that mess sticks to everything and dries rock hard?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what about the spray foam stuff like they do the custom vivs with? that mess sticks to everything and dries rock hard?
I'll have to look that up..never heard of that one. I've been looking at cheap plastic lockable containers, I'm going to basically use 5 and ten gallon size for moisture lovers, and larger ones for my 4 monsters. I'm going to keep my glass aquariums for the dry species, that will minimize the amount of new ones I need to make. I'm getting some plastic grill vents to install for airflow. These should be decent looking and easy to make. I'm making my list and checking it twice :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was reading the enclosure build they used on the NEherps page , http://www.neherpetoculture.com/diy#foam
(I am so going to make enclosures like that for my arboreals one day)
Anyway, the more I thought about it the more i liked the idea, and lets face it, any of us who have ever used that foam know it sticks to literally every thing :p

N8tive556

3 Year Member
I hadn't thought of that.. Silicone would hold better..but in this case, would acrylic glue bond acrylic to soft plastic, like sterlite containers?

I don't see why not, the way acrylic glue works is not as an adhesive but a bonding agent, basically, it melts, and fuses the two pieces together.May be easier seeing as Sterilite is a softer plastic. As far as foam for vivs yes it sticks well but doesn't adhere, that's why in vivs the foam will be usually be adhered to the walls via, silicone

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't see why not, the way acrylic glue works is not as an adhesive but a bonding agent, basically, it melts, and fuses the two pieces together.May be easier seeing as Sterilite is a softer plastic. As far as foam for vivs yes it sticks well but doesn't adhere, that's why in vivs the foam will be usually be adhered to the walls via, silicone
Well I've heard of acrylic bonding I was just wondering if it would eat right through the soft stuff. I'll try it on a cutout piece first, just in case:)

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I've always said that plastic storage containers would be ideal for spiders, except you just can't see through them well. So my idea is this: I use a dremel to cut the middle out of all the sides, and the top. Then I use sheets of thin, clear acrylic and hot glue them over the holes, for my viewing pleasure. This seems like a cheap and easy way to make an enclosure. Thoughts? Is this an old idea that I just think I thought up first? :)

I would like to see what this is looking like when you're done making one- I am one of those old fashion visual ladies LOL ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would like to see what this is looking like when you're done making one- I am one of those old fashion visual ladies LOL ;)
I'll post a pic of one finished;) just need to find the time, I have all the stuff but I've been working 12s with no break for three weeks now..I dont have the energy or drive at the moment :confused: hopefully I have a day off coming in the next week or so...

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Same here, well except for the lady part ;) And this is a great idea for an inexpensive enclosure. I wonder how easy it would be to do this and install a divider, to house my 2 Brachy's in when they get bigger.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everything in there is alive. The screen top is covered with thin plastic sheets leaving .5" gaps on each end that run from front to rear. There is a heat pad on the right side of the tank to create updraft and keep her warm.
I hope the cork tree is not alive! hahahah. Just kidding. Awesome tank! :D

Latest posts