• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

SO CONFUSED ABOUT HEATING!!!!

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
Ok so all these sites I keep going on say I need heating for my tarantula and then most people here say no heating is required! The place we live is around 71-74 degrees, but we are about to be moving to a place where we will not have centeral heat and air ( space heater in winter and air conditioner window unit in summer)! I own a chilean rose! Sould I purchase a heat device and if so what type?

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
Basically the way I have been told about temps is if you are comfortable then they are comfortable. I live in Iowa so it get quite cold over here and I have a lot of T. All I use is a space heater for the room they are in. Also it helps to seal up the windows to prevent to much heat loss.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I think heating is a very gray area type of topic. No one can say do it or don't flat out. There are many variables that have to be recognized.

IMO, adding a space heater to a room would be great if you have a dedicated T room and are trying to heat numerous enclosures. I personally just have two T's currently and heating the room this way would be cost ineffective. I use a 40watt infrared bulb on an adjustable desk lamp fixture. I can control the height easily which gives me a lot of control over the amount of heat added. It adds roughly 4-6 degrees to the terrarium from room temp. My house varies from 66-75 degrees F over the course of the day in the summer and 64-68 degrees F in the winter. I personally think adding the heat the way i do will do nothing but help.
Overall, there is a definite gray area with adding heat. There are too many variables with enclosure type, species, heating method, etc. to make a yes or no decision across the board.

entomology

3 Year Member
with any tarantula the best way is to get a care sheet and simulate natural habitat. check their humidity requirements and temperature fluctuations keeping in mind that if there is no thermo regulation within the terrarium stress will begin.remember if you heat the entire room there is no place for the tarantula to go cool down and as for an exothermic species this is essential. also take into consideration when moving any tarantula that altitude and pressure does effect them in the form of stress as they are very sensitive species.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I would disagree with the care sheet idea and recommend getting a few books from some well known tarantula keepers for a lot of good information. There are a lot of good links on this forum that go directly to top notch information regarding heating, humidity and other keeping factors. I recommend checking them out.
I used the articles and my experience with other Arachnids to determine what might work best for me.

entomology

3 Year Member
Exactly that!! What works best for u!! This site is not for arguments and constant " i disagree" nobody are experts in tarantula husbandry so don't try and be one . We are her just to comment and give our opinions not disagree continuously. That's how we learn from each other . I work with so many animals so i think my opinion carries some weight !!!! Tarantulas are being studies intensively like so many others so we learn something new each day and ppl should be open to that not narrow minded.

Pyromaniac820228

3 Year Member
Entomology has been very successful in breeding and keeping tarantulas for a number of years, I have seen his setups and he has extensive knowledge on the subject. How he heats his enclosures gives the T the option to regulate their temperature pretty much like in nature. This method has proven to be the best, tried and tested.
You can get the most out of tarantula keeping by learning from others that have had great success with their spiders, like entomology.
So instead of going on the internet and searching for lots of different methods that might or might not work, I would take the advice from someone who knows a great deal and has worked in this field for many years.

Just my 2c ;)

entomology

3 Year Member
Why thank you Amoré well said. I dnt need books. ppl on this site dnt know what a nature conservationist is and have no inclination as to the meaning thereof . It is my belief certain individuals prefer a mud slinging match who thinks they have the wright answers...lol

Latest posts