• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Snake question

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
Hi all. I have a question about feeding my little Cali King snake. Actually a few questions maybe. :confused:

We have had the little guy about 2 months and have been feeding him a pinky once a week. I was wondering if he needs more than one. (question 1 lol)
I just read another post and they are feeding a variety of things. I kinda feel bad for my guy for just feeding once a week now :( Do king snakes eat the same things as garter snakes? Should I give him a variety instead of only pinkies?

Thanks for any advice

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The normal rule is to feed a food item large enough to leave a bump in the snakes belly, so you can just see it. Cali kings won't benefit by feeding anything other than rodents, they have all the nutrition most snakes need. You don't say how big he is but you can always offer him another pinkie straight after the first, wait until the first hits his belly then offer the second one or try him on a fuzzy, slightly larger than a pinkie.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I just saw this!

My Cali has been eating 1 xs pinkie a week at about 7" long, and the bulge doesn't last much.

It was suggested to me since he ate 5 days after the last feeding and pooped shortly after the first feeding (like the next day), to try 2 xs pinkies for this weeks which is what I am doing but based on length of yours I would agree with Enn based on the info and advice I have since my guy isn't big enough to swallow a fuzzie.

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
@Psyrocke Thanks for the info. I am going to get a frozen fuzzy and small mouse just to see which he can ingest. I haven't ever noticed a bulge when he eats his pinkie so maybe he has been hungry all this time. Maybe that's why he bites me every time i stick my arm in the enclosure:D

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
@Psyrocke Thanks for the info. I am going to get a frozen fuzzy and small mouse just to see which he can ingest. I haven't ever noticed a bulge when he eats his pinkie so maybe he has been hungry all this time. Maybe that's why he bites me every time i stick my arm in the enclosure:D
I only notice a bulge immediately post consumption which he does within 5 minutes of being given the pinkie. It is gone by the next day, followed by a poop later that night or the next day.

Since I fed him Saturday and then his next meal I gave to him Thursday cause he had pooped in such short times the Thursday pinkie was eaten within in five minutes, he was on it as soon as I closed the lid hence trying the two xs pinkies this time around.

Could be! He thinks you are a snack. Though he could just be super bold because mine would still rather pretend like he will than ball up...or mine is having an identity crisis!

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
OK I have had to throw out a fuzzy and now a pinkie. He has stopped eating. I usually feed every Monday but he didn't come out to eat. (he always burrows in the substrate) So I tossed the fuzzy. Tried pinkies last night and again he didn't eat. I also noticed there were crazy ants in the enclosure again.
Do snakes stop eating before a shed? I haven't noticed any changes in appearance.

Does anyone know how to keep crazy ants out of an enclosure? I changed the substrate and cleaned the tank really good but didn't help.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, some snakes will refuse food just before a shed.

I use Ardap to kill insects in the snakes containers but do not use it near your Ts. Ardap will work its magic for up to 6 weeks and once it's dry is completely safe for snakes. You can also spray a piece of newspaper, leave it to dry in another room and put a piece a few inches square in the container.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
And, also, Kingsnakes are known for being finicky and deciding to fast. Especially in cooler temperatures.

A sign to check is if his eyes are cloudy, thats usually the most obvious and Enn has told me the scales could feel loose or rough prior to a shed.

Additionally, a few tricks I learned when I was trying to get Kable to eat is to open the mouses mouth, thaw and warm it (if feeding frozen, as I assume you are?) and then if there is a hide put it near to/slightly in the entrance way to the hide. Doing all three of those helped get my baby to eat when I first got him.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all. I have a question about feeding my little Cali King snake. Actually a few questions maybe. :confused:

We have had the little guy about 2 months and have been feeding him a pinky once a week. I was wondering if he needs more than one. (question 1 lol)
I just read another post and they are feeding a variety of things. I kinda feel bad for my guy for just feeding once a week now :( Do king snakes eat the same things as garter snakes? Should I give him a variety instead of only pinkies?

Thanks for any advice
Youvan feed pret items as large as the fattest part of the snake. Might want to try hooper mice maybe.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Thanks for any advice
Feed a meal that is wide as the fattest part of the snake. I learn the hard way by my ball python biting me right away after feeding. Once i gave him bigger pray he stopped thinking i was food.

Latest posts