• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling Hide

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Idk if anyone else has come up with this idea for a hide for their sling or not, but it just kinda came to me while I was checking on my crickets, since sweetie hasn't eaten anything since 12-31. Anyway I decided to cut out some egg cartons and do a few modifications and she appears to love it (any time there is a slight noise or movement near her enclosure, she runs straight to it and clings to the top of it). Maybe she will finish her molt so I can see her beautiful new skin!! I thought maybe she wasn't feeling secure the way things were. I had a temp/hydrometer sitting on top of the lid giving her a shaded/cooler area of her bowl, so I started thinking of something I could use in such a small space for a hide. Hope it works :)

IMG_0823.JPG
IMG_0824.JPG

Redacted

3 Year Member
Idk if anyone else has come up with this idea for a hide for their sling or not, but it just kinda came to me while I was checking on my crickets, since sweetie hasn't eaten anything since 12-31. Anyway I decided to cut out some egg cartons and do a few modifications and she appears to love it (any time there is a slight noise or movement near her enclosure, she runs straight to it and clings to the top of it). Maybe she will finish her molt so I can see her beautiful new skin!! I thought maybe she wasn't feeling secure the way things were. I had a temp/hydrometer sitting on top of the lid giving her a shaded/cooler area of her bowl, so I started thinking of something I could use in such a small space for a hide. Hope it works :)

View attachment 21735 View attachment 21736
I'm diggin' the sling hut. So's your T.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
She is diggin' it so much that she scared the crap outta me earlier. I went to check on her and she was in the top of the darn thing. I picked it up and didn't see her and started to freak out till I caught her out of the corner of my eye in the egg carton. :oops: Sneaky little booger that one is. Lol
:T:

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I had a rose hair and the pet shop owner wasnt very detailed about how to care for a spider.. after about a week common sense hit me and I realized that spider like dark places so I cut a shoe box in half and cut a small entrancd to it and she fell in love with it instantly and only came out to drink or chase crickets.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
I had a rose hair and the pet shop owner wasnt very detailed about how to care for a spider.. after about a week common sense hit me and I realized that spider like dark places so I cut a shoe box in half and cut a small entrancd to it and she fell in love with it instantly and only came out to drink or chase crickets.

Isn't it crazy how common sense just hits you between the eyes and usually just in time to keep from really doing damage. That is my biggest pet peeve about pet shops. They don't know squat about what they are selling and usually think that all T's like to live the same way. I have seen them cause people that didn't know better to kill their new expensive charges then refused to refund them, saying they should have kept it in better conditions when the girl that bought it did exactly what the lady that sold it to her told her to do. Most people have better luck buying online unless they are lucky enough to have a breeder live close to them. That's my rant for the evening. :rolleyes: Anyway, you are here now and have as much help as you want, sometimes more:) so don't be afraid to ask. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Isn't it crazy how common sense just hits you between the eyes and usually just in time to keep from really doing damage. That is my biggest pet peeve about pet shops. They don't know squat about what they are selling and usually think that all T's like to live the same way. I have seen them cause people that didn't know better to kill their new expensive charges then refused to refund them, saying they should have kept it in better conditions when the girl that bought it did exactly what the lady that sold it to her told her to do. Most people have better luck buying online unless they are lucky enough to have a breeder live close to them. That's my rant for the evening. :rolleyes: Anyway, you are here now and have as much help as you want, sometimes more:) so don't be afraid to ask. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Extra sad if a bad experience turns off an otherwise interested wannabe pet keeper.

No substitute for homework and good advice.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Extra sad if a bad experience turns off an otherwise interested wannabe pet keeper.

No substitute for homework and good advice.

Exactly. I can't say I did any homework on my 1st two cuz they just showed up at my door but through trial and error and a lot of long nights on the computer I figured it out.
This time I researched several species and did a lot of comparing before I settled on my first one and I must say it has been quite easy this time around.
In fact, the only reason I don't have more is cuz I'm gonna order my next 4 at once (saves big time on shipping) and I am still researching and getting everything put on index cards which will go on or under their enclosures so I know exactly what everyone likes and I don't take a chance of killing someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redacted

3 Year Member
Exactly. I can't say I did any homework on my 1st two cuz they just showed up at my door but through trial and error and a lot of long nights on the computer I figured it out.
This time I researched several species and did a lot of comparing before I settled on my first one and I must say it has been quite easy this time around.
In fact, the only reason I don't have more is cuz I'm gonna order my next 4 at once (saves big time on shipping) and I am still researching and getting everything put on index cards which will go on or under their enclosures so I know exactly what everyone likes and I don't take a chance of killing someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice going Pearl!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
as long as the T uses it i say go for it. Only thing with those egg cartons though is they absorb moisture, keep an eye out for mold.

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member

View attachment 21735 View attachment 21736
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww......so cute lol! That pic gives me baby fever! For spiders.....got 3 kids....enough for me lol....but as the kids today would say.....totes cute....or fetch. That hide is totes fetch! XD

Latest posts