• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

siren weather

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
-need to rant a little-
We had an F3-F4 on the ground about a mile away, although I HATE being cooped up, once again I am extremely grateful for having a tornado room built when we rebuilt the house. I hate this area, tornado's suck, got out of the tornado room, with all seven dogs, got settled, then sirens again, this SUCKS!
-rant over-

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
>.< The one weather phenomenon that scares me. I don't have a basement, and I live in the flat south Texas scrub land with not even a decent ditch in site for a mile. Tornado warnings and watches on a dark night are a bit nerve wracking, I end up on my porch, using the lightning to check the horizon for the dark shape of funnel clouds. I have nightmares about those damned things. What's a tornado room?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its a safe room, supposed to make it through an F5 with no issues, when we rebuilt we had an option to make the master bath a safe room so we jumped on it, its rebar and cinder block, filled with concrete, the foundation and rebar goes way down, has solid steel door on it, I have pictures somewhere, of when they were building it, its very similiar to this one though.
http://www.quadlock.com/insulated-concrete-forms/news/110825_Safe_Room_Construction.htm

Florida you get hurricanes, but you know they're coming, you have time to prepare, this mess though. Hate it...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My tornado room is the nearest brick and steel building, the sheriffs office. I figure if it gets really bad I can just drive my truck through the glass front doors :) My truck, the building, and whatever dead bodies are under my wheels should buffer me from the storm very well.

Fleas

3 Year Member
I think it's funny how tornado ally been around for 60/plus years and people insist to live there knowing that one will come eventually. Then they act all surprised when it does happen.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Fleas

Well, not all of us have options, this was a 'safe' place for me and my children at the time, finances prevent me from moving now.

When I moved here, (many years ago) I had no idea of the situation, or that they actually got the damn things in this area, it not part of the supposed 'tornado alley' that didn't stop the Tuscaloosa tornado from happening however. That was hard...and so much worse in person then seeing it on the news.
jHzERKh.png

“According to the U.S. Weather Bureau, tornadoes have occurred in every hour of the day, every month of the year, and in every state. But most often they occur in May and June, between 4 and 7 p.m., in what has been called ‘Tornado Alley’ — Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa .

I'm in central Alabama, Roll Tide and all that BS. Nowadays, anywhere in the eastern states seems to be taking a chance.
GzRSXnw.gif

So, basically, I'm just stuck, and I deal with it, and I will no doubt continue to complain about it.

"Tornado Alley Diagram" by Dan Craggs - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...ram.svg#/media/File:Tornado_Alley_Diagram.svg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wait a minute Kymura...where were your spiders while you and the dogs were in the tornado room? HMMMM? ...poor little spiders, innocently unaware of the windy death approaching them, while mom sits safe and comfortable in the tornado room, petting the dogs and watching tv... shame, Kymura, shame..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's why i'll never leave idaho :) No tornadoes. All we get is a mild earthquake every decade or so and forest fires about that often.

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
Fuzzball79 don't knock the 70 mph wind we get here I once witnessed something terrible in such high winds my friends pint of ale got blown right of the table and spilled all over the floor, it was awful to sit and watch him lapping it up off the concrete o_O
Only messing I would hate to be near a tornado my auntys house a few years ago in florida was narrowly missed by a tornado and she said it was one of the worst things she has been through.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fuzzball79 don't knock the 70 mph wind we get here I once witnessed something terrible in such high winds my friends pint of ale got blown right of the table and spilled all over the floor, it was awful to sit and watch him lapping it up off the concrete o_O
Only messing I would hate to be near a tornado my auntys house a few years ago in florida was narrowly missed by a tornado and she said it was one of the worst things she has been through.
That first story made the hair raise up on the back of my neck. I'm so sorry you had to see that. Has your friend recovered? :p