• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Show me your LPs!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I started my 2 off as 1" slings in tubs the size of a cricket tub with a tiny hide, small piece of plant and water bowl

They are both now in 9 litre Really Useful boxes both with a large piece of cork bark, plastic plant, a slab of slate (which they both love to sit on) and untipable small animal bowl for water. I gave them the untipable bowls because Mole insisted on spilling water everywhere.

Mole

Pip

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's my big female and Livingenzyme's mature male..I'll be switching her enclosure up after I breed them so I didn't do what I wanted to do, which is line it with plants and rocks and take the hide out. She doesn't use it, but she may if she drops a sac.
mmm 079.jpg
mmm 078.jpg

Breeze

3 Year Member
Exodus good luck on the breeding! Im really hoping i have a female!
It looks female but im waiting for a molt. :T:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lmao, what a monster in the first pic !...too cute. Fuzzball you should consider that a female...in that amount of time I believe a male would be twice that size, or three times, depending on the temp you keep it at...just a theory though :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lmao, what a monster in the first pic !...too cute. Fuzzball you should consider that a female...in that amount of time I believe a male would be twice that size, or three times, depending on the temp you keep it at...just a theory though :)
I've considered that, compared to others' slings. I feed him/her every couple of days (not really on a strict schedule, just when it suits). He/she seems to get fat really quickly, which I suppose is not an issue for a sling/juvie. Fingers crossed (although I don't really mind if they turn out male. My B. Boehmei is 90% sure male and he's still one of my faves).

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've considered that, compared to others' slings. I feed him/her every couple of days (not really on a strict schedule, just when it suits). He/she seems to get fat really quickly, which I suppose is not an issue for a sling/juvie. Fingers crossed (although I don't really mind if they turn out male. My B. Boehmei is 90% sure male and he's still one of my faves).
Agreed, same with my boehmei as well. I just feel pressured to find my males adult females so they can fulfill their roll a few times before they go..which is going to be expensive for a few of them, but they're worth it, and breeding is a very exciting aspect of the hobby :) Unfortunately, it seems like every time I buy a sling of the species that I have females of, the slings turn out to be females...weird, and frustrating, but I can't be disappointed in a female :p

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed, same with my boehmei as well. I just feel pressured to find my males adult females so they can fulfill their roll a few times before they go..which is going to be expensive for a few of them, but they're worth it, and breeding is a very exciting aspect of the hobby :) Unfortunately, it seems like every time I buy a sling of the species that I have females of, the slings turn out to be females...weird, and frustrating, but I can't be disappointed in a female :p
I think I will send him away with a heavy heart as a breeding loan, because I just don't think my husband would be happy with having hundreds of tiny slings around. I could just picture me losing some...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think I will send him away with a heavy heart as a breeding loan, because I just don't think my husband would be happy with having hundreds of tiny slings around. I could just picture me losing some...
Lol, you seem pretty knowledgeable..I think you'd do fine. I encourage people to breed every chance i get though..I'd love to see tarantulas competing with reptiles as pets! Imagine how cheap and easy it would be to get all the spiders you want..and I'd be willing to bet it would kick some taxonomists in the butt too, and get some long awaited identifications done.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol, you seem pretty knowledgeable..I think you'd do fine. I encourage people to breed every chance i get though..I'd love to see tarantulas competing with reptiles as pets! Imagine how cheap and easy it would be to get all the spiders you want..and I'd be willing to bet it would kick some taxonomists in the butt too, and get some long awaited identifications done.
Aww, thanks, I'm still a proper newbie (only started keeping March (?) last year), but love learning about the animals I keep. It would be nice if spiders were considered more of a normal pet and you didn't get looked at as some sort of freak for keeping them, but on the other hand too many cheap species can also lead to too many idiots buying them, if you get what I mean.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aww, thanks, I'm still a proper newbie (only started keeping March (?) last year), but love learning about the animals I keep. It would be nice if spiders were considered more of a normal pet and you didn't get looked at as some sort of freak for keeping them, but on the other hand too many cheap species can also lead to too many idiots buying them, if you get what I mean.
Yeah, I get you. I also get tired of the odd looks when it's revealed that I have 31 spiders and a roach colony. Most times I laugh it off, other times it can be a little offensive. Good thing I have a little bit of self restraint and manners. A little bit.