• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shelob is doing weird things...

KieraKittie

3 Year Member
Usually I run to google to figure out what it is she is trying to tell me when she does something strange, but today I cannot find an answer as to what her recently action means..

SO, I have come to the experts.

I often open the doors to the terrarium and Shelob wonders out onto my desk and climbs her way on top and nestles into a light dip between the screen and a small desk heater (its turned off) and she will sit perched there for hours. Today she was chilling in her spot just watching the light from the monitor when she suddenly started rattling her feet. I never seen her do it before so it has me curious, it only lasted for a second or two, then she stopped and went back to chillin..

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
can you further describe "rattling her feet"? was it a hair licking type of motion? was it all her legs or just some?

KieraKittie

3 Year Member
No like, tapping or thumping as if she was stomping half her legs really fast for a second. Or set yoru finger tips on the desk and tapping really fast type thing.. LOL sorry.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not saying she is a male, just what it sounds like .. could have just been startled though.

KieraKittie

3 Year Member
Not that I mind, I just was hoping to have a buddy for more than the 2 - 3 years they say males live for, why I was hunting for a lady spider. I was reading on sexing them but I am not comfortable in picking her up as they request and I dont know enough about the swollen pedipals, Perhaps when my camera comes back from the shop, if I got a close up of her front someone here could tell?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not that I mind, I just was hoping to have a buddy for more than the 2 - 3 years they say males live for, why I was hunting for a lady spider. I was reading on sexing them but I am not comfortable in picking her up as they request and I dont know enough about the swollen pedipals, Perhaps when my camera comes back from the shop, if I got a close up of her front someone here could tell?

If It's mature even a poor pic would do

KieraKittie

3 Year Member
Took this with my phone a moment ago, from the pictures I have seen, that is female right? :confused: I think? Or I am backwards.. lol
2013-01-29020246_zps2cb6f971.jpg

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
That's not a MM. I have had females to tap though. Actually I've had females to tap to males I introduced them to before the male tapped.

KieraKittie

3 Year Member
Hmm then I wonder what she was trying to say.. Maybe something from the computer screen, the lights startled her or something.. Just found her random action odd and far new to me. I Did not know what she was trying to tell me! I am glad it is confirmed she is female. She shall be my friend for the next 12++++ years! She walks around her enclosure and covers everything in webbing, my desk makes for awesome halloween decor. *de-webs the keyboard* Oh well I suppose she is just weird, which is fine, fits right in with the house.

Latest posts