• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scorpions Coming

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
So I got some scorpions coming. I'm getting

1.2 Centruroides gracilis adults (yeah it's baby scorp making time :D )

1 Tityus stigmurus 3-4 instar

0.0.1 Babycurus jacksoni (Chocolate morph) 3-4 instar

Pretty excited I'll post pics once they are here.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Excellent choices! The T stigmurus grow fast I hear. Mine hasn't molted for me yet. I'm anxious to see a pic of the chocolate jacksoni, I almost got a few but went with the normal morph. And gracilis..I hope to soon have a very large colony of those :) Its nice to see this post :D Oh and @Nicolas, the jacksoni and gracilis aren't too hot. The stigmurus is reported to have caused morbidity and mortality in humans, but it's by no means common. But yeah. No cuddling :D

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
Yeah I'm pretty excited to have the parthenogenetic T. stigmurus I've kept H. Hottentotta before but I've been wanting another parthenogenetic species.
I'll for sure post up some pics especially the chocolate jacksoni. Yeah from what I've read stigmurus ranks 3-4 on the 1-5 hotness scale. I didn't in the past and don't plan cuddling :D (I got my 15" tongs ready for doing feeding and cage maintenance etc..I never put fingers in the enclosure) My thought on envenomations is that they are preventable with a solid and precise approach while working with them. So remove all distractions and focus only on the task at hand, feeding, cage maintenance, rehouses etc. It really tics me off seeing these stupid kids on youtube free handling scorpions especially Leiurus and Androctonus, that's how hobbies get ruined and bans get placed...ok mini rant over :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed:) I have to admit, I do grab cork bark occasionally, but I'm thinking of trying salad tongs. The feeding tongs aren't sturdy enough for grabbing big pieces of bark, that most likely has scorpions attached to it:) I figure its a bad habit to get comfortable grabbing things in less hot scorpions enclosures, which is what I was doing. Forget yourself with the wrong scorpion and it could be a rough day.

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
Yes really rough day. :) All the scorpions I've ever kept have ben *hot* so I've got into the habit straight out of the gate. Yeah salad tongs or even heavier duty kitchen type tongs (Rachel Ray makes the silicone tongs) would work especially for lifting pieces of cork bark. Yeah from my experience hotter they are the faster they are....especially Hottentotta & Androctonus man those little dudes can move quick.

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
Scorpions arrived today just got them unpacked. Here are some pics.

Centruroides gracilis 2 of the adults 3rd one is already hiding under the log.
Tityus stigmurus
Babycurus jacksoni 'Chocolate Morph' (I'm going to try and get better pic)

Attachments

• IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    832.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Scorpions arrived today just got them unpacked. Here are some pics.

Centruroides gracilis 2 of the adults 3rd one is already hiding under the log.
Tityus stigmurus
Babycurus jacksoni 'Chocolate Morph' (I'm going to try and get better pic)
Lovely scorps! Hey your stimurus is really pale, it looks wicked..mine is orange though..Im just wondering why they look so different? Is yours an adult? Mines 3i..

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
Mind sharing your source? I'll be honest, I want a pale form now..lol.

I do mind, they're all mine, all mine I say...sorry I couldn't resist :D I got them from Pinchers and Pokies. I'm sure how many they have still, I do know that I got the last B.jacksoni 'Chocolate' morph.

Yeah it would be pretty cool if this one is indeed a pale form rather than it's in pre-molt which I guess could be a possibility. I figure'd I'd give it a day or two to settle in and then try food. Although looking at closer it really doesn't look like it's in pre-molt...dunno this is the first Tityus species I've had so I don't know what they look like in pre-molt.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ahhh, damnit. I literally just ordered from them, only I didn't know about the pale ones. I Googled it and theres several pics that look like yours, and several like mine, the racing orange color(which is also stunning). I'll ask Erik about the colors today. I may order two of them. Yours is a beauty, and I really regret not getting a chocolate jacksoni now..

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
Yeah I've been seeing pics of the one like I have so maybe indeed it's a variant depending on locality to the racing orange which is cool looking as well. Their price list doesn't specify any difference in coloration, so I would indeed ask Erik. Yeah I pretty happy I picked up the chocolate jacksoni I almost didn't get it.