• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scorpion question - Asian Forest

mrweegeeman

3 Year Member
Hi! I just picked up a Asian Forest scorpion from a friend and was just wondering how long it takes for a scorpion to get used to the new habitat? It's a sub-adult at this point and tries to climb out of the tank all the time. I've only had a day so far but I was just wondering how long it takes for them to settle and use there hides or something. Any ideas?

edit: the setup is a 20 gallon tank, 5 inches of eco earth, 2 hides, water dish (it has marbles I boiled in it so it wont drown, I realize its not a very shallow dish lol). Humidity is at a good level. I'm using a IR Lamp.
The hide isn't in it in that picture but a pen is to show you how big the scorp is, very tiny!

KA7b308.jpg

Last edited:

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello,

Couple of potential issues may be causing the scorpion to wander. The first is a lack of a hide. You need to add a good hide to the tank. Corkbark tunnel or cave of some sort. I love scorpions but you should be prepared to not see them that often. That's why I have about 50 :confused:.

The other issue may be the lamp. Make sure it is only covering about 50% of the tank. The scorpion needs a place to escape the damaging heat from heat lights. You may be okay here but hard to tell from the picture.

You also mentioned the humidity is fine. Do you know what species of Asian forest scorpion you have? Try to identify it if you do not and make sure you define the proper range and take steps to keep the humidity levels consistent. Most likely, you will need to keep it between 60-80%.

But even after they settle in, they still do roam around looking to escape from time to time (Some more than others).

mrweegeeman

3 Year Member
Hello,

Couple of potential issues may be causing the scorpion to wander. The first is a lack of a hide. You need to add a good hide to the tank. Corkbark tunnel or cave of some sort. I love scorpions but you should be prepared to not see them that often. That's why I have about 50 :confused:.

The other issue may be the lamp. Make sure it is only covering about 50% of the tank. The scorpion needs a place to escape the damaging heat from heat lights. You may be okay here but hard to tell from the picture.

You also mentioned the humidity is fine. Do you know what species of Asian forest scorpion you have? Try to identify it if you do not and make sure you define the proper range and take steps to keep the humidity levels consistent. Most likely, you will need to keep it between 60-80%.

But even after they settle in, they still do roam around looking to escape from time to time (Some more than others).
Thanks for the reply! Ya, I was sterilizing the hides. I hadn't used them for a while and didn't want them to have something on it it shouldn't. I put the a nice hide in there and its been hanging out in there all day so im happy. As for the lamp, ya I have the lamp on one side of the tank, the side the hide is not on. And um... Im thinking this is actually a emperor scorpion. The claws are rough and thick rather then the smooth texture of the asian forest scorpion. Should I mist the walls in the morning? Like, 3 squirts from a squirt bottle in the morning?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You will need some way to measure humidity but I would think you would need to mist this enclosure about 2-3x/week. I use an automister on my Emperor set up. Pricey but worth it to me as I don't need to worry about it.

Latest posts