• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand Roaches from our front yard

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will try these roaches as feeder to my B. smithi. These are found on the soil under our palm tree.

We don't use chemicals on our yard so these are hopefully safe. I caught some so that I can gut load them with essential vitamins and minerals. ;)

Male w/ wings

fat female

:T:

Last edited:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These roaches are fast burrowers though they pretend to be dead for a couple of seconds after you excavate their turf. And they don't smell. :)

Fleas

3 Year Member
I would not use them as feeder but you can start breeding them and use the offsprings as feeders. Do you live in an area that roaches are illegal?

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh I see, are there places where roaches are illegal? I am from the Philippines and I don't think roaches are illegal here. I have placed the sand roaches in an enclosure of their own so I will just have to look and see if there will be nymphs soon. ^_^

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Yes, in the U.S., there are states that prohibit them being shipped into.
Agree on not using wild caught prey as a food source. In as much that you may not use pesticides, your neighbor or someone down the street just might. I would still be apprehensive on using the nymphs. Being, if, there is pesticides, it can be transferred to the substrate or interaction. They do climb all over each other. After a couple generations and at least one total substrate change with a thorough cleaning, I, myself would begin using as a food source.
Just my thoughts on the subject. [emoji6]

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldnt use wild insects as prey items. it is hard to tell what parasites they have. or toxins from being outside.

Latest posts