• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rosea-decoration?

Effy.Shaw

3 Year Member
Being new to any tarantula, I'm definitely happy to keep things simple for a while, but I'm also a person who loves to make things as decorative as possible. But I don't want to harm them, obviously!

At the moment, my adult is in a plastic critter style tank...unsure of exact size but its about 45cm x 30cm and quite shallow...maybe 15cm.
She's about 5" so is this an ok size? Is going bigger better as long as I'm careful to prevent falls and I can keep track of her?

Can I put a fair few logs/plants/rocks in or will too much overwhelm her? Do they like having more of an open space? A bit of both?

Are plastic/silk plants ok? If washed?

She came with a heat mat...it doesnt get very warm and I like to keep our room toasty anyway...does she need the mat?

Sorry for so many questions...I just want to make her life interesting and complete and have something interesting to look at too lol having just the hide and water bowl just seems so...sad...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The container sounds fine for size. You can put wood, cork bark and plastic or silk plants in, just make sure anything she can hurt herself on is not to close to the sides in case she falls. If you keep your room warm a heat mat won't be necessary, the usual guide is if it's warm enough for you to sit i a Tshirt then your T will be fine.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Questions are how you learn, ask as many as needed :)

That enclosure sounds perfect. 5" dls in an 18x12x6" container. Plenty of room for the T and a few decorations :) Plastic/silk plants are fine, that's what i use in all of my enclosures. I just dip them in a large mixing bowl full of water and a few drops of Dawn dish soap and swish them around a bit, then rinse good and let them dry. I put them in wet in my avic enclosures, they like to drink the water off the leaves ;)

With a G. rosea you won't want any extra moisture except during molt, they like it bone dry, all you need is a water dish. When they're in premolt and molting i overflow the water dish a bit for a little extra humidity to help out.

Effy.Shaw

3 Year Member
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. :)

I think she may be going to moult? I'm having to fill her water bowl twice a day and she isn't eating. Any idea how long that would/could last?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. :)

I think she may be going to moult? I'm having to fill her water bowl twice a day and she isn't eating. Any idea how long that would/could last?
couple months or so at that size i'd guess. Mine is only 1" or so and spends a week eating then like 4 or 5 weeks in premolt.

Latest posts