• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Requesting 2nd Opinion

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Hey guys I'm posting some pictures of my P. Irminia I was told by someone else upon her last molt that she looked to be female the longer I spend in this forum learning the more I feel that may be incorrect so I was hoping to get a second opinion.
Thanks in advance!
tmp_28561-20151014_180603-329047156.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's just no way to be accurate when sexing by vent shots..even good ones..I'd need a molt to be sure. I'd say possible female, which I know doesn't help you..how large is she?

SasyStace

3 Year Member
There's just no way to be accurate when sexing by vent shots..even good ones..I'd need a molt to be sure. I'd say possible female, which I know doesn't help you..how large is she?
O wow thank you so much for responding. she is nearing 4 inch. I was saving all her molts and someone tossed them in the trash (obviously won't cop to it) and when I had them I had no idea you could sex that way. I've learned so much from this forum. Thank you for taking the time to get back to me- super cool of you.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
O wow thank you so much for responding. she is nearing 4 inch. I was saving all her molts and someone tossed them in the trash (obviously won't cop to it) and when I had them I had no idea you could sex that way. I've learned so much from this forum. Thank you for taking the time to get back to me- super cool of you.
No problem at all :) I've made some guesses before, sexing them by ventral shots and made myself look stupid, haha, so I probably shouldn't even comment without a look at the molt. If you dip the abdomen of the molt in water/dish soap solution you can usually open it up without tearing it. The wires from bread ties are good tools for this. You'll see 4 white square looking things, those are book lungs. I would need a close up shot of the top set of book lungs, in between them,(which would be on the bottom of the spider) to be able to accurately tell you what sex she is. I'll call her she because its best to be optimistic. I'm not like many people in the hobby though, I'm happy to have a male spider as well. Some of the most docile spiders I've come across were mature males, I'm not sure why that is. It's just that when I get attached to them, I feel the need to get them a female before they pass. That can be expensive..

SasyStace

3 Year Member
No problem at all :) I've made some guesses before, sexing them by ventral shots and made myself look stupid, haha, so I probably shouldn't even comment without a look at the molt. If you dip the abdomen of the molt in water/dish soap solution you can usually open it up without tearing it. The wires from bread ties are good tools for this. You'll see 4 white square looking things, those are book lungs. I would need a close up shot of the top set of book lungs, in between them,(which would be on the bottom of the spider) to be able to accurately tell you what sex she is. I'll call her she because its best to be optimistic. I'm not like many people in the hobby though, I'm happy to have a male spider as well. Some of the most docile spiders I've come across were mature males, I'm not sure why that is. It's just that when I get attached to them, I feel the need to get them a female before they pass. That can be expensive..
Excellent advice- Thank you- I will for sure be saving her next molt in hopes that I get a female ( I have had 3 males and all died of age which was so heartbreaking after so long) this is why I am hoping she is a she ( and it's the first T I have raised from sling) so I am a proud mama - Thanks again for all your sound advice :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unless you're prepared to care for a few hundred slings, I'd suggest loaning him out. There are plenty of informative books on tarantula care as well as videos on YouTube.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would definitely be loaning him out ;)
I suggest buying a copy of either The Tarantula Keepers Guide by Stan Schultz or the Animal Planet book by Michael Jacobi. Both have been in the hobby for decades, and are members on the Arachnoboards forum (although I only ever see Schultz post anymore. ) There's also a guy called Jon3800 on YouTube who is very knowledgeable. While I disagree with some of his housing methods, he has bred plenty of different species and knows a lot about breeding in general. Just a few sources for you If you wanna check them out :)

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I suggest buying a copy of either The Tarantula Keepers Guide by Stan Schultz or the Animal Planet book by Michael Jacobi. Both have been in the hobby for decades, and are members on the Arachnoboards forum (although I only ever see Schultz post anymore. ) There's also a guy called Jon3800 on YouTube who is very knowledgeable. While I disagree with some of his housing methods, he has bred plenty of different species and knows a lot about breeding in general. Just a few sources for you If you wanna check them out :)
Thank you for the advice, I actually began following Jon3800 about 6 months ago and I also find that I do not agree with his housing but he sure is knowledgeable. I'll pick up those books this weekend and start reading. I'm so addicted I actually find them very relaxing to watch. :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you for the advice, I actually began following Jon3800 about 6 months ago and I also find that I do not agree with his housing but he sure is knowledgeable. I'll pick up those books this weekend and start reading. I'm so addicted I actually find them very relaxing to watch. :)
I noticed that a lot of his terrestrial species don't seem to have hides. While I do agree with not giving them a ridiculous amount of space and I keep my slings and juveniles in smaller enclosures, I think keeping an adult pokie in a 1-2 GAL container is not very ideal.

Any way good luck with whatever you decide to do with him.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I agree with ya :) got a pet store by me that has an adult p . Metallica in this tiny little glass enclosure and it kills me to see it. Seems a shame to keep something so beautiful in something he can barely move around in. Thanks again I'm sure I will update when and if I loan him out :)

Latest posts