• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red Runners?

SpiderDaniel

3 Year Member
I'm looking into getting a small colony of Red Runners (S. Lateralis) for my LP, I've heard that they don't burrow and are easy to keep. I've been having issues with crickets as she will not eat in front of me and although the crickets are seemingly gone I'm concerned that they are burrowing and that they could surface and bite her later. Red Runners also don't pose as much of a danger to her as crickets do from what I've heard. Is all this true and what is the best (and somewhat inexpensive) place to get 50 mixed runners to start a colony? Also do any of you have food or breeding tips? I've been reading up but I just want to check my facts.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think they're the best feeders you can have. They're very easy to keep, they won't bite the T. They love to run and that triggers the feeding response. They'll breed at temps in the upper 70's to upper 80's, but need a bit of humidity. Feed them fish food or ground up dog food, not high protein food, the extra protein is converted to acids that could be harmful for the T.

I usually order mine from Cape Cod Roaches or Roach Crossing or Aaron Pauling.

Lee'scrazybeasts

3 Year Member
I breed red runners along with Dubai and hissers. The reds are ridiculously easy to breed as long as you give them the right enclosure, heat and food. I have been breeding them for a few yrs now. Soooo much cheaper than buying smelly crickets! I also breed mealworms too.

Latest posts