• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recycling Enclosure

VanessaS

3 Year Member
The two B. smithi I got recently came in these enclosures. They are fish aquariums and were not appropriate for them - especially since there was very little substrate and great big rocks in the bottom. I have recently moved them into the shoe boxes and have these two enclosures empty.
At first, I was just going to throw them away, but decided to see if I could put holes in them with my dremel. I had never tried to use it for acrylic and it is very easy to put holes in them.
They are 7" x 7" square base and 8" high. I didn't bother cleaning them yet because I won't bother if I just throw them away. I know they are a bit ugly, but I can work with that. At least they match. I am having a difficult time finding good enclosures for arboreals in Canada.
What do you think about using them for the avics when they are bigger?

_DSC2618-2.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think those would be fine, cleaned up of course, for avics until they're 3 or so inches dls. then upgrade to their final enclosure is what i'd do with them. kinda cute if set up the right way i think.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I think those would be fine, cleaned up of course, for avics until they're 3 or so inches dls. then upgrade to their final enclosure is what i'd do with them. kinda cute if set up the right way i think.

Thank you! I was hoping that they would be okay for juveniles. It will buy me a little more time to find their perfect adult home. We don't have the same type of choices in Canada as they do in the U.S.A. and if I want them shipped up here it will cost a fortune for the shipping.
I was thinking that I might look for someone who would make them for me. I would do it myself, but I really suck at DIY projects.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I dont think they r ugly vanessa. I would use them and im pretty particular about the way my spiders and bugs enclosures look. I have them all on display.
Good! Because I am going to use them. I have cleaned them all out and cut off all the aquarium parts and all I have to do is drill the holes in them. I have a while because the two versicolor are only 1/2" right now.
Thank you for your feedback.
:)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Get a nice piece of elastic ribbon and just cover the bottom blue and they'd look grand.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm with @Entity I'm picky on my enclosures. But that's just for me, I don't have anyone yet to show them off too, so I make them pleasing for me and screw what anyone else thinks ;)

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Okay, what do you all think? I know that this little one, who is probably a boy, is a bit big for it, but the enclosure that they came in was horrible. It was far too skinny to put anything in for them to climb and they were stuck to the glass only.
The minute I put them into this - they headed for the cork bark and haven't moved.
I have two quotes out there for local people to make me the Jamie's type arboreal setups and I am hoping that they come back with a reasonable price. I couldn't hold off moving this one in, though.
They sure are gorgeous and they cost me $20. I couldn't pass it up. The guy said that they were 'unsexed', but I think that he knew it was a boy. As calm and sweet as can be - I can't get over it. I was expecting the worst with the rehouse and it went off without a hitch. I can't really say that I deserve a cider, but I'm having one anyway (because two weeks ago we had snow in Toronto and today we are pushing 40 degrees C).
Please let me know what you think so I can make any improvements when I get their permanent cage.
_DSC3369-2.jpg

_DSC3407-2.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks perfectly happy to me. We work with what we have. Taller would be better but that's perfectly usable as is. I'd give him/her a bit of leaves or vine on top of the bark to Web against but other then that looks spot on :)