• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RECIPES

Mera Mera no Mi

3 Year Member
Cooking now to save money. Ill be honest I have been eating out non stop and It’s crazy how much stuff adds up when you’re not looking. Seriously, everyone know this, but it’s worth repeating again. Stuff adds up when you’re not looking. I need to save cash and learn recipes. I Just want any ones input for dishes that they know how to make at home. Anything classic, impressive, and of course taste amazing.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Absolutely! Any casserole type can be good filling etc and go a long way as well, simply mix up a few of your favorite vegetables, meat of your choice (or other protein source,) cook in a skillet till almost done, add some whole grain egg noodles, a can of mushroom or any cream of type soup (I use cheddar and sour cream as a rule,) pop in the oven till it bubbles nicely. :p

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Depending on how much time/money you have. This is o e of my faves
Thai green curry (make as hot or as mild as you like depending o. Taste)
All ingredients listed from UK

SERVES 2
INGREDIENTS
A large bunch of asparagus or baby corn
1/2 a fresh red chilli
1tbsp groundnut oil
1tbsp sesame oil
400g king prawns, raw, peeled
1 x 400ml tin of coconut milk
A handful of mangetout
1 lime
FOR THE GREEN CURRY PASTE
2 stalks of lemongrass
4 spring onions
3 fresh green chillies
4 cloves of garlic
A thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger
A large bunch of fresh coriander
1tsp coriander seeds
8 fresh or dried lime leaves (optional)
3tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp fish sauce
METHOD
TO MAKE YOUR GREEN CURRY PASTE
Trim the lemongrass stalks, peel back and discard the outer leaves, and crush the stalks by bashing them a few times with the heel of your hand or a rolling pin.
Trim the spring onions. Halve and de-seed the green chillies. Peel and roughly chop the garlic and ginger. Set aside a few sprigs of fresh coriander, and whizz the rest in a food processor with the lemongrass stalks, spring onions, chillies, garlic, ginger, coriander seeds and lime leaves (if using), until everything is finely chopped - the smell will be amazing!
While whizzing, pour in the soy sauce and fish sauce and blitz again until you have a smooth paste. If you don't have a food processor, chop everything by hand as finely as you can - it may take a while but it will be so worth it.
TO MAKE YOUR CURRY
Snap the woody ends off the asparagus and discard them. Run the stalks through a runner bean slicer, or finely slice them lengthways with a knife. Finely chop the red chilli and put to one side.
Push down on the lime and roll it around to get the juices going, then cut it in half. Squeeze the juice into the pan - this will give your curry a lovely tang
Push down on the lime and roll it around to get the juices going, then cut it in half. Squeeze the juice into the pan - this will give your curry a lovely tang
Place a large pan or wok over a high heat. When it's really hot, add the groundnut and sesame oils, swirl them around, then carefully drop in the prawns. Add the asparagus and your green curry paste and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Pour in the coconut milk and add the mangetout.
Give it all a good stir, bring to the boil and cook for a few minutes. Have a taste and add a bit more soy sauce if you think it needs it. Push down on the lime and roll it around to get the juices going, then cut it in half. Squeeze the juice into the pan - this will give your curry a lovely tang.
TO SERVE YOUR CURRY
Pick the leaves off the remaining coriander sprigs. Serve the curry sprinkled with the coriander leaves and the chopped red chilli, and some fluffy lime and coriander rice.

IMHO. Really nice and tastes even better if frozen and re heated......lol

Mera Mera no Mi

3 Year Member

SERVES 2
INGREDIENTS
1/2 a fresh red chilli
1tbsp groundnut oil
1tbsp sesame oil
A handful of mangetout
1 lime
2 stalks of lemongrass
4 spring onions
3 fresh green chillies
4 cloves of garlic
1tsp coriander seeds
3tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp fish sauce
METHOD
Trim the lemongrass stalks, peel back and discard the outer leaves, and crush the stalks by bashing them a few times with the heel of your hand or a rolling pin.
Trim the spring onions. Halve and de-seed the green chillies. Peel and roughly chop the garlic and ginger. Set aside a few sprigs of fresh coriander, and whizz the rest in a food processor with the lemongrass stalks, spring onions, chillies, garlic, ginger, coriander seeds and lime leaves (if using), until everything is finely chopped - the smell will be amazing!
While whizzing, pour in the soy sauce and fish sauce and blitz again until you have a smooth paste. If you don't have a food processor, chop everything by hand as finely as you can - it may take a while but it will be so worth it.
TO MAKE YOUR CURRY
Snap the woody ends off the asparagus and discard them. Run the stalks through a runner bean slicer, or finely slice them lengthways with a knife. Finely chop the red chilli and put to one side.
Place a large pan or wok over a high heat. When it's really hot, add the groundnut and sesame oils, swirl them around, then carefully drop in the prawns. Add the asparagus and your green curry paste and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Pour in the coconut milk and add the mangetout.
Give it all a good stir, bring to the boil and cook for a few minutes. Have a taste and add a bit more soy sauce if you think it needs it. Push down on the lime and roll it around to get the juices going, then cut it in half. Squeeze the juice into the pan - this will give your curry a lovely tang.
TO SERVE YOUR CURRY
Pick the leaves off the remaining coriander sprigs. Serve the curry sprinkled with the coriander leaves and the chopped red chilli, and some fluffy lime and coriander rice.

I will try my best to attempt this. Phil I am obsess with curry! Thank you!!

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

SERVES 2
INGREDIENTS
1/2 a fresh red chilli
1tbsp groundnut oil
1tbsp sesame oil
A handful of mangetout
1 lime
2 stalks of lemongrass
4 spring onions
3 fresh green chillies
4 cloves of garlic
1tsp coriander seeds
3tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp fish sauce
METHOD
TO MAKE YOUR CURRY
TO SERVE YOUR CURRY

I'm lazy i just use the jar curry,lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am a one dish wonder guys.....lol
Not entirely true, salmon and spiced wedges and as they call it at work "Phil's world famous lemon drizzle cake". Have had several bake off competitions at work, including blind taste test, and still undefeated. @Telson, great idea on home made pizza though.
I would to cook Thai green curry for you all with lemon drizzle cake for dessert and compare spider stories together. ☺

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So how many recipes do you want? spring, fall, summer, winter? snacks or meals? cheap or spendy? Cooking is one of my hobbies :D

Since it's fall try this taco soup. Best part about it is you can make it once to taste then customize as you like. Grandma's been cooking this for 70 some years, but this is my favorite version of it, i just added more bacon than Grandma does ;) I usually make a full batch and freeze half to eat later. This feed about 6, or 4 if you're my size :oops:

Ingredients (US Measurements)
1 lb ground beef
1 lb mild Italian sausage
1 lb bacon
1 medium onion - diced
2 cans pinto beans (15.5oz) drained
1 can Kidney beans (15.50z) drained
1 can whole kernel sweet corn (15 oz) drained
2 cans diced tomatoes with chiles (14.5oz)
1 can diced green chiles (4.5oz)
1 can sliced black olives (4.5oz)
1 jar stuffed green olives (10oz)
1 pkg taco seasoning (1.25oz)
1 pkg ranch salad dressing (1.25oz)

For Garnish -
Grated cheese (i us a 4 cheese "mexican blend" already shredded cause i'm lazy)
chopped green onions
1 or 2 Jalapenos (depending how hot you want it) seeded and diced

Directions
Brown the meat and onions, then drain well. As the meat is cooking add all the other ingredients to a slow cooker or large pot. Add the meat when it's drained. cook half of the bacon (don't fully cook it, it will cook with the soup), cut the other half of the bacon into bite size pieces and add to the slow cooker or pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours in the slow cooker, or simmer for an hour on the stove in the pot.

Garnish as you like, eat with tortilla chips (i use them as the spoon)