• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Raising mealworms (can also be used with superworms)

spidey noob

3 Year Member
thanks for shareing ;)
mealworms are super easy to change to beatles (do it there self) but morio/supers can be a bit more difficult to change over, i have atempted to change morio over 3x now !!! i only got 1 out of 20 to pupate & turn into the beetle :( (the rest pupated but died before they changed) im goint to have another go at some point but they live for monthes any way so no hurry.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The superworm beetles emit an extremely foul odor when disturbed, so I'm not sure if many tarantulas would eat them. Most of mine won't touch them.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can I ask why you add multiple exclamation marks after each sentence? [emoji14] It does sort of give the impression that your either yelling or are way too excitable lol.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For superworms to turn to beetle, I let them burrow in a used T substrate. Then every now and then a beetle will emerge. I just collect and transfer them to the breeders. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For superworms to turn to beetle, I let them burrow in a used T substrate. Then every now and then a beetle will emerge. I just collect and transfer them to the breeders. :)
I do this unknowingly, but I take the beetle out and kill it because I could never get them to breed..I need to give it another shot, I like feeding supers.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The superworm beetles just gross me out. They smell awful. I usually kill them if I find any loose ones in an enclosure. Sounds cruel, but my tarantulas won't touch them and I don't think it's a good idea to let them loose outside. We have enough invasive species here as it is.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The superworm beetles just gross me out. They smell awful. I usually kill them if I find any loose ones in an enclosure. Sounds cruel, but my tarantulas won't touch them and I don't think it's a good idea to let them loose outside. We have enough invasive species here as it is.
Agreed, and I'm also fairly certain they'd munch on a molting tarantula.

Latest posts