• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Quick molting question.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Hey guys! I just have a real quick question about a molting Brachypelma Boehmei or Mexican fireleg. I've had my little friend October for a little over two months now and he's still about 3 inches but looking slightly bigger so I have some reason to believe he molted. I tossed out the substrate and replaced it the other day so I didn't look for a shed exoskeleton. Anyway that's not important. What I would like to know is will there be a noticeable size increase after a single molt by a Mexican fireleg? I know they grow slowly and I would imagine they don't molt very often. I know that a male b. boehmei like October will reach about 5 or 6 inches and I'm not talking about changes that dramatic after just one molt but will his growth be obvious or will it be subtle?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It depends on the individual tarantula as well as the gender and the species.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Thank you Chubbs. He is a Brachypelma Boehmei and 99.9% likely a male. I've heard they do grow slowly but I expect to at least see some growth within a year.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Thanks Spidey Noob! It sounds like yours are very young, I guess they do grow quite slowly then. I heard somewhere that a male only lives about a year after the final molt on average so I should have a while yet before he reaches maximum size.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hey guys! I just have a real quick question about a molting Brachypelma Boehmei or Mexican fireleg. I've had my little friend October for a little over two months now and he's still about 3 inches but looking slightly bigger so I have some reason to believe he molted. I tossed out the substrate and replaced it the other day so I didn't look for a shed exoskeleton. Anyway that's not important. What I would like to know is will there be a noticeable size increase after a single molt by a Mexican fireleg? I know they grow slowly and I would imagine they don't molt very often. I know that a male b. boehmei like October will reach about 5 or 6 inches and I'm not talking about changes that dramatic after just one molt but will his growth be obvious or will it be subtle?
As a tarantula ages the molt cycle becomes less frequent. Yours at 3" (I consider a juvenile) will show a slight size increase that is hard to notice. Possibly 1/4" maybe a bit more between molts. Yes, a slow growing species but a long lifespan.
Since you're sure its male, once he hooks out, I suggest to do a breeding loan or sell him. Someone will likely need him . You have plenty of time to make a decision, or perhaps get a mature female and breed yourself. They are a staple T to the hobby. [emoji3]

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
As a tarantula ages the molt cycle becomes less frequent. Yours at 3" (I consider a juvenile) will show a slight size increase that is hard to notice. Possibly 1/4" maybe a bit more between molts. Yes, a slow growing species but a long lifespan.
Since you're sure its male, once he hooks out, I suggest to do a breeding loan or sell him. Someone will likely need him . You have plenty of time to make a decision, or perhaps get a mature female and breed yourself. They are a staple T to the hobby. [emoji3]

Aw I could never give him up. I love the little guy too much. I guess I could stud him out for breeding but I'd be afraid the larger female would eat him. I actually got a male because of a shorter lifespan just in case he turned out to be a nightmare :) . It's good to know though that he will grow at a slower but steady pace so I will have more time to prepare for and provide for his molting time. It will sure be fun watching him grow up. Thanks Thereasoid!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Males are an extremely valuable asset to this hobby. It'd be kind of a waste in my opinion not to let him serve his purpose once he matures.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Well you have a point there. I have plenty of time before he grows up completely. I wouldn't dare give him up but maybe I will find someone with a female and we can breed them. Heck it might be cool if I found someone with a female Mexican Red Knee and we could create hybrids.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well you have a point there. I have plenty of time before he grows up completely. I wouldn't dare give him up but maybe I will find someone with a female and we can breed them. Heck it might be cool if I found someone with a female Mexican Red Knee and we could create hybrids.
Umm... hybridization is EXTREMELY frowned upon in this hobby.

Latest posts