• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pronunciation!!

Adam Boudreau

3 Year Member
So, if this question doesn't imply I'm very new to the hobby idk what will... Haha anyways I just received a beautiful sling about 2 days ago and I was wondering how to pronounce the scientific name, Brachypelma Albopilosum. Thanks to all those replying to such a nooby question!!

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 17

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK, but I'll be honest and tell you all, I can pronounce it and in conversation I call it by its proper name. In private I call mine my curly baby, although it's a pretty big baby now lol!!

IMG_2642.JPG
Filling the water dish with sub, that's what it's there for right lol

Adam Boudreau

3 Year Member
OK, but I'll be honest and tell you all, I can pronounce it and in conversation I call it by its proper name. In private I call mine my curly baby, although it's a pretty big baby now lol!!

View attachment 20420
Filling the water dish with sub, that's what it's there for right lol
I think she's quite beautiful, she's just having a bad hair day and it's so cute!!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome. @Adam Boudreau , I am more worried about pronouncing your surname properly......lol.
Bra key pel ma (say it fast) albo pillow sum (say it fast) is how I would pronounce it.....☺
That's similar to how i say it. I pronounce it albo pil ahsome.

Watch the youtube feeding videos, i get a kick out of how some people pronounce the Latin names ;) my favorite is the G. pulchripes, i can't remember off hand who said it but they said it like pul shri pees ;) like we go to shool and have shedules :p

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Watch the youtube feeding videos, i get a kick out of how some people pronounce the Latin names ;) my favorite is the G. pulchripes, i can't remember off hand who said it but they said it like pul shri pees ;) like we go to shool and have shedules :p
Suppose that's why common names become so......erm, common ☺

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

I've heard them called pul-shrypes..lol Im assuming pul kri pees is correct.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've heard them called pul-shrypes..lol Im assuming pul kri pees is correct.
not sure, one of programmers here speaks Latin, has degrees in sociology, ancient languages, whatever the study of religions is called, but he ignored all those to work with computer languages ;) He's in DC at a convention/seminar thing until Friday, i'll have to see how he says to pronounce it. You'd think someone that speaks the language would know right? ;)

I've always thought it was said pul kripes with the ripes as in ripe fruit.

Latest posts