• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pretty sure my p fasciata is about to molt

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
as the title suggests I think my fasciata is about to molt... it's abdomen is massive and it's a bit darker than normal! here is to hoping everything goes well! I lightly misted a corner of the substrate away from it's hide just to ensure it's decently humid :)

Edit: maybe I was wrong.. I gave it a cricket to see if it would eat if it refused I would have removed the cricket before I left the room so the pokie had no dangers during molt but it tackled the cricket more aggressively then I've ever seen it lol.. so maybe I was just getting to excited :/

Last edited:

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I don't think the fasciata is molting, it's very active and eating but my regalis hasn't eat in nearly two weeks he only moves when I touch him with a paintbrush he will run but go right back to his hide.. come to think of it.. the regalis hasn't eat since I gave it the hide.. I might try removing the hide and give it a cricket and see if that works

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Well, I personally wouldn't take away the hide. Don't worry: if she's hungry, she'll eat. It's not because of the hide that she isn't eating. But she needs the hide, that's for sure. Try giving your regalis a cricket in two weeks (if she hasn't molted in between) and see what happens: if the cricket is still here the next day, take it away, and try again two weeks later.

But don't put any prey inside the hide, nor take the hide away to "force" her to eat. She knows what she's doing! :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I personally wouldn't take away the hide. Don't worry: if she's hungry, she'll eat. It's not because of the hide that she isn't eating. But she needs the hide, that's for sure. Try giving your regalis a cricket in two weeks (if she hasn't molted in between) and see what happens: if the cricket is still here the next day, take it away, and try again two weeks later.

But don't put any prey inside the hide, nor take the hide away to "force" her to eat. She knows what she's doing! :)
Agreed. all spiders need a hide, You're taking away the flight option in their fight of flight response

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
oh I agree it needs the hide I'm not removing it permanently i just removed it long enough to see if it would eat and then returned the hide once it still refused to eat.. only removed it briefly this once lol

Latest posts