• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pretty sure it's a female

angelle

3 Year Member
What's your opinion?
image.jpg

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can't really tell you how many YEARS old it is. All I can say is it's a mature female. You can't really determine the age of a tarantula unless you're the one who hatched it yourself.

angelle

3 Year Member
Can't really tell you how many YEARS old it is. All I can say is it's a mature female. You can't really determine the age of a tarantula unless you're the one who hatched it yourself.

Kk. I know shes not full grown. She's in premolt right now. Can't wait to see what she looks like on a fresh molt. I was pretty sure she was a girl though. There was no sign of tibial hooks. But there have been males without them. Also she's a lot larger than a male but who knows. I had never seen her underside until last night. I finally got the nerve to pick her up like that and get a picture of her abdomen. Thanks for confirming what I thought!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No problem. Yeah, not all tarantulas have tibial hooks, but they all have the emboli resembling boxing gloves which are pretty tough to miss.

angelle

3 Year Member
I'm not sure I've ever even seen a male in person to be honest. I just knew she didn't have hooks, and her abdomen is large than a males usually is, and her sex organs looked female to me. But I'm far from being an expert so I thought I'd ask some folks with more experience.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rosea is technically the red color phase. People use that name for both often though.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol I'm afraid I'm lost. I don't really know anything about the scientific names and Colour phases... So she's not a Chilean rose hair?
I'm not sure if there even is a common name for the normal color phases. Common names are confusing so I don't use them. I believe some consider G.porteri to be simply a different color phase of G.rosea, while others consider them an entirely different species. I think it's still inconclusive however. Basically G.porteri is the normal color phase while G.rosea is the red color phase.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it's gray on the abdomen and legs and pink on the carapace, then it's G.porteri which is the normal color phase. This is what yours looks to be.