• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Premolt? And post molt questions

Petter

3 Year Member
Hi!

So I got home from work, it is 5:30 am and I found my T's hide all blocked up, he used the substrate to totally barricade the entrance, and I am wondering if this means he (or she) is going to molt soon?

For the post molt question.. How the hell am I supposed to remove the molt from the "cave" I created for my T? And what happens if I just leave it in there?

I appreciate all answers!

Edit; This is a Brachypelma Vagans

Attachments

• tarantula.jpg
    tarantula.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 19

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Definitely premolt behavior. Nothing to worry about: just leave him alone until he opens the burrow again. Don't worry: it can last weeks, even months.

You don't have to remove the molt from the burrow, unless you want to check the sex. You can leave the molt there, it won't mold or anything. Maybe your vagans is even gonna take the molt out by himself.

Otherwise, you will have to destroy the "cave" to take the molt out and sex it.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree with @Nicolas C. I have a sub-adult female A. Chalcodes who was always out. 6 weeks ago, she hid herself behind her hide and locked the doors. She still hasn't come out. I lifted her hide yesterday, she is fine. Hasn't molted yet. Just hiding and rejecting food. I have heard this behavior can go on for up to 6 months. Just Keep a full water dish and be patient. (Unlike me (LOL))

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my vagans always pushes the molt out, maybe a month later when she gets tired of it cluttering up her hide ;) but eventually it will be out in the open where I can remove it.

Calico

3 Year Member
Agree with @Nicolas C. I have a sub-adult female A. Chalcodes who was always out. 6 weeks ago, she hid herself behind her hide and locked the doors. She still hasn't come out.

I was getting ready to post a question about this. Mine had made a burrow under his water dish a few weeks ago. Has always come out during the day and sits. Has been eating about 2 small/med crickets a week. I started noticing web around the opening last week for the first time and then when I looked in on him Wednesday, he had completely sealed the opening with substrate (except for a very small opening). I haven't seen him since. So hopefully he is getting ready to molt. I'll try not to worry anymore since this seems to be normal. I just hope it isn't 6 weeks! I miss seeing the little guy.

Calico

3 Year Member
Depends of its size (the bigger the longest). But yeah, premolt behavior.

Little guy. About 2" leg span. This will be my first as I've only had him a couple of months. I wish it was something I could see. Oh well, looking forward to seeing the difference when he finally emerges. And hope I can retrieve the molt so I can find out if male or female.

Candi

3 Year Member
Oops! I didnt know my tarantula was molting and she was on her back and I gently used a spoon to flip her back over. Now im reading she was prob molting. She is, about 8 years old. She is on her stomach now, should I just leave her!? or Flip back on her back?!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oops! I didnt know my tarantula was molting and she was on her back and I gently used a spoon to flip her back over. Now im reading she was prob molting. She is, about 8 years old. She is on her stomach now, should I just leave her!? or Flip back on her back?!
Leave it. less stress when molting is better. They can molt standing up, but she'll most likely flip back over.

Latest posts