• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible to sex 3/4 inch sling using microscope?

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Since My B smithi sling molt is imminent. Hopefully within a few days to a week. Is it possible to put the molt under a microscope and be able to see the little flap that shows female or male?. I will post pick of the molt under a microscope.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I was referring to the text stating that even some larger juveniles did not present sexual organs well, underdeveloped in other words, making it difficult even by molt..I did give you that link right?..my point was it could be very difficult with slings that small, unless you happen to have a sample of both sexes.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Well I was referring to the text stating that even some larger juveniles did not present sexual organs well, underdeveloped in other words, making it difficult even by molt..I did give you that link right?..my point was it could be very difficult with slings that small, unless you happen to have a sample of both sexes.
I am just over here wondering who has slings that small that even leave the exo in the condition to sex? LOL most of the time mine are wadded up and completely destroyed

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
ITs tedioous using small tweezers and such to Spread the molt. I was semi successful doing it on its first molt lol.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not developed at that size. Wont be until.at least 1.5" and Brachypelma males have accesory organs that can cause cunfusion. 3" is a good size to gender Id Brachypelma accurately.

owax

3 Year Member
Great question and answers! I was just going to post a thread about the same thing.

I have 2 H. Pulchripes that just molted. Their molts are just under an inch. One was badly twisted. but the other I managed to get an excellent view of the inside of the abdomen.

I was hoping to be able to get an early peek at what I might have and plan for it but it sounds like it's to early to judge.
On the other hand, net-bug and other sites offer "sexed" specimens that are less than 1.5".
Is that more of a "buy at your own risk" size even though they claim to know.

Here is a pic of the H. Pulchripes, please let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• H Pulchripies A  1 inch sling molt.jpg
    H Pulchripies A 1 inch sling molt.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 87

owax

3 Year Member
Great question and answers! I was just going to post a thread about the same thing.

I have 2 H. Pulchripes that just molted. Their molts are just under an inch. One was badly twisted. but the other I managed to get an excellent view of the inside of the abdomen.

I was hoping to be able to get an early peek at what I might have and plan for it but it sounds like it's to early to judge.
On the other hand, net-bug and other sites offer "sexed" specimens that are less than 1.5".
Is that more of a "buy at your own risk" size even though they claim to know.

Here is a pic of the H. Pulchripes, please let me know your thoughts.
Based on the article, It looks like the hairs on the outside of the molt (under side) are indicating that this may be a male. I'd love to here what you all think.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not developed enough yet to say, at least for me. I just tried this on 3 of my six H sp Columbia lg. Slings. They're right at an inch and a quarter, and I couldn't sex any of them. I've never seen a spider sold as a sexed female under 2 1/2 inches. If I did, I would probably question it..

owax

3 Year Member
Not developed enough yet to say, at least for me. I just tried this on 3 of my six H sp Columbia lg. Slings. They're right at an inch and a quarter, and I couldn't sex any of them. I've never seen a spider sold as a sexed female under 2 1/2 inches. If I did, I would probably question it..
Thanks for taking a look!
Here is a link to one of many just so you know I'm not blowing smoke. http://www.net-bug.net/apps/webstore/products/show/2933884

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You know I was thinking to myself the other day that gbb spermathecae were one of the least defined, or distinct. They look like a clam shell. It takes more skill than I possess to look at any spider that small and sex it..much less a gbb..

Latest posts