• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible tarantula owner

Drago

3 Year Member
Hello all, I am new here but very excited to be part of this community! I have been toying with the idea of getting myself a tarantula for a few years now, but have never felt as ready as I am now. My only problem is that I feel as though I'm going to be nervous to handle/put my hand in the enclosure. This is a worry for me as I really love and respect tarantulas and would love to see such a beautiful creature join in with my animal menagerie! So I guess I'm in need of some tips to get over worry of tarantulas, remember I'm a complete newbie so I don't know too much in general about these little guys (though I'll be doing much more research once I find a species I seem to like) so does anyone have experience and can put my irrational fears to rest?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome.
You don't need to handle your tarantula, they don't enjoy it. Most of us use tweezers or tongs to remove rubbish from their enclosures.
Are you thinking of buying a sling or a juvenile?

Drago

3 Year Member
Thank you for the quick response! I'm not 100% sure which I'm going to get quite yet, but I'm leaning more towards a juvie as I think they'll be a bit bigger and maybe easier for me to care for, but if you think a sling would be better I'd definitely listen to your suggestion!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's your decision, whichever you feel happiest with. Some people prefer to start with a juvie, others like to begin with a sling so they can watch them grow and develop their adult colours. I began with a juvie but it wasn't long before I was tempted to buy my first sling and I'm sure you'll soon get more, it is a very addictive hobby.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Best advice I can give you is if you can't resist the urge to handle your tarantula then I advise you to do a bit of research and get a new world species.. most new world species have weak venom and seem to be the most docile. Keep in mind it's a unpredictable spider.. just because you can hold it today doesn't mean it'll be the same tomorrow.. they have cranky moods just like us. And IF you choose to hold it then for your sake take the soft end of a paintbrush or a straw and lighty touch it's back end.. if it casually walks forward you should be ok but never make sudden movements and never for any reason hold your T high in the air.. I never raise mine more than 10-12 inches above the ground and even that is risky. And for your safety if the T raises its front legs and exposes fangs it's best to leave it alone or else you're gonna have a bad day

Stevet

3 Year Member
Hi and welcome.
You don't need to handle your tarantula, they don't enjoy it. Most of us use tweezers or tongs to remove rubbish from their enclosures.
Are you thinking of buying a sling or a juvenile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevet

3 Year Member
Hi I'm Steve .. I've been in the hobby for years on and off a new member is always welcomed in this hobby where sadly a lot of us are misunderstood..we keep over 150 here all different species

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Hi and welcome.:)
A new world, docile, species would be best to start out with. Especially if you are, or would be, a nervous first time owner. At least until you gain more experience & comfort.
If you have any specific questions, just ask away.

Latest posts