• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria spp. post mating care

mikkino

3 Year Member
Hi, can you please give any tips about post mating care ? i have paired 2 females poec. striata, its about 8months after mating, still no build eggsack, i dont know about post mating care. 1st female was mating one time succes, 2nd female two times succes.

I have else paired Poec. subfusca lowland(2 months after succes mating), Poec. fascaita(1 month after succes mating)

I need some introduction about post mating care :/ Thank you, greetings from Slovakia :)

Last edited:

Poec54

3 Year Member
Feed the females well after mating, they need to produce eggs. Hopefully the males are still alive in case the female molts and needs to be paired up again. I only leave my Poec males in for one night, evening until the following morning. Any longer than that is a risk (and even then an occasional male gets killed). I don't mate females multiple times, as that's even a bigger risk for losing males.

Poec54

3 Year Member
My striatas have dropped successful sacs 9 months after mating. Just the usual cooling, followed by heating and flooding

I run into the same thing with mine too. It can take a while. Some people pair up their tarantulas and expect a sac in a matter of weeks, which almost never happens. They usually have to produce eggs first, and then wait for the environmental triggers.

To the OP: be patient. Unless the female molts, there's always a chance for a sac. They may be waiting for certain temps, humidity, and day length, or some combination of those.

mikkino

3 Year Member
yeah thanks, im using heatpad under case, and spray water twice a week, and dubias roaches twice a week too. Thanks i hope that drop eggsack :T:

btw, Yesterday i try mating 3rd female, when male drumming in case 3rd female, in the next case was drumming my 2nd already paired female(its paired already 8months :D) i dont know why. maybe not paired, but i saw 2times succesful input.

Poec54

3 Year Member
yeah thanks, im using heatpad under case, and spray water twice a week, and dubias roaches twice a week too. Thanks i hope that drop eggsack :T:

btw, Yesterday i try mating 3rd female, when male drumming in case 3rd female, in the next case was drumming my 2nd already paired female(its paired already 8months :D) i dont know why. maybe not paired, but i saw 2times succesful input.

Poecs do that. Sometimes when I walk into my spider room at night, they'll be several Poecs drumming. In captivity the pheromones of many females are highly concentrated without the wind to blow them, and to males that has to be both highly stimulating and confusing at the same time. It's like they hit the mother lode, but can't quite get to them.

Latest posts