• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

poecilotheria rufilata communal

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Wow just fed the pack and each t that grabbed a cricket one of them tried snatching it from the other this happened 3 times it looked like a full blown fight because there legs were grappling so I thought I'd better put another cricket in the the regalis grabbed it and out of no where the t that had tried snatching the others done it again only this time he literally took it from the regalis it would of been an epic feeding video but it really is every t for him self when it comes to feeding time. It still amazing how he knew when the other T's just caught food and thought easy meal here

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I like that. Been waiting for an update. It's good to see that they are super hungry and aggressive but still not actually fighting each other.

swimbait

3 Year Member
This is a very interesting thread just spent what feels like over and hour reading the entire thing. Awesome! IMO P. murinus would be the most awesome communal setup as adults if they would actually coexist. I have heard of it being done with slings but never successful as adults. Can you imagine a 10-20 gallon aquarium webbed up entirely filled with large OBTs :D

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
I've seen them do it when they were very small but now there getting bigger it just looked quite terrifying lol

yeah, that must have been quite a sight, all legs and arms going everywhere. I have to take 3-4 shots of Jack Daniels after I break up just 2 after mating. I'd be passed out if I had to deal with 6-7 going at it at one time. Can't wait for your next update.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Just a quick one there seems to be a pattern occurring with the regalis as this has happened twice and it's now the 3rd time when it's in premoult it makes its way to the very top of the enclosure separating itself from the group once moulted it's back in the hide with the rest of them. But recently it's been joined buy the others. Every evening a couple make there way to the top and huddle up with the regalis then back in the hide. Why would they purposely go to the regalis. They can go anywhere

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
Cause they are just one big happy family, and they love him ;);) I love your reports. Just makes me want to try my own. I'm getting some things set up for it now.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just a quick one there seems to be a pattern occurring with the regalis as this has happened twice and it's now the 3rd time when it's in premoult it makes its way to the very top of the enclosure separating itself from the group once moulted it's back in the hide with the rest of them. But recently it's been joined buy the others. Every evening a couple make there way to the top and huddle up with the regalis then back in the hide. Why would they purposely go to the regalis. They can go anywhere
Keep the updates coming,great news so far.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Just a quick update all is well not to long now hopefully for the next moults. Can't wait expecting big size changes + it's been 8 months now since they were introduced so gonna keep a close eye as it's coming to the year mark here's a quick pic 4 displayed out nice the other 2 are in there hide
20150127_200403-1.jpg

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Just a quick one I noticed something strange this morning 1 of the T's looked like it had moulted the only reason I noticed is because the carapace was attached to a bit of moult and just flapping witch was still attached to the abdomen. The spider don't look no bigger I sprayed the enclosure quite heavily. it doesn't seem to bother the t so I'm hoping it will cause it to maybe moult again to sort itself out. I don't know whether to lift the hide to check everything is ok in there as it's heavily webbed or just leave it never had this before

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Ok so ive had a bad moult the spider is fully out of her moult but it's lost a leg which isn't too bad considering what she looked like this morning im just wondering if the enclosure is to small now and they might be struggling to moult in there hide maybe I should up the humidity a bit has anyone's sling lost a leg during a moult im just glad she's ok now just has 7 legs for a while

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Looks like me regalis is on the verge of moulting the other 4 should be soon it's been a long couple of weeks waiting for moults from these the rufilata that moulted a couple of weeks ago that lost a leg is hanging around the entrance of the rest of them keeping guard lol
20150212_185646.jpg

Lady Lilith

3 Year Member
HI Rick! I was just peeking in to see how your communals are coming along? My two T's, non communal as they are an LP and a GBB, are coming along well :) Except for the LP, he has gone on a hunger strike. Didn't eat for two months, molted, and has not eaten since then, which was about a week and a half ago. There are Dubias and crickets available to him should he decide to start again, so all I can do is wait :) Hope all is well with your communal set ups!

Kelly

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
1st year is creeping up rapidly these guys are getting big now all have moulted the regalis is still in there but keeps himself to himself ive decided I'm gonna take him or her out soon but the rufies so far are all well

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
As from 16th of may it will be exactly a year since the the 5 rufilatas and 1 regalis has been together and all are doing brilliant and getting a nice size now the regalis is getting ready to moult and also some of the rufies have webbed up looking like they are getting ready for moults can't wait to see the size after this moult soon as they have all moulted they will go in a proper enclosure with 1 big hollow tube bark and that is where they will stay
20150411_161001.jpg

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
I find myself having to clean theses guys out quite often they are a messy bunch. Update on the regalis just moulted last night a successful moult too and oh my 1 word BIG

Last edited: