• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria picture thread

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I need a picture from below showing the leg patterns.
Here is also an interesting link to Pokies: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/spiders-inverts/234784-newbie-guide-poecilotheria.html

Whatever the spider is, it is a mature male

Ive been told this is not a poec and not an adult male but could be suspect male juvi? he/she is not very big at all maybe 2 1/2 inches. Sorry I didn't send the appropriate picture :) it's been one hell of a T to get pictures of.

SasyStace

3 Year Member

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
If he's a mature male and the dls is around 2.5 inches (according to your other post), I don't think it's a Poecilotheria: too little, isn't it? Tapinauchenius or Psalmopoeus would be my guess... Or, maybe maybe... an Heteroscodra maculata: males don't get very big, stay grey, have the same pattern on the prosoma as yours, are sometimes mistaken with Poecilotheria... but have black little spots on the tarsi /metatarsi of the legs (which yours doesn't seem to have)...

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You're 100% correct it's a mature male, we took him out tonight and located his hooks, it was hard to tell under all his fuzz :(
Well it definitely isn't a pokie, since pokie males still mature at a pretty large size, around 6-7 inches.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
You're 100% correct it's a mature male, we took him out tonight and located his hooks, it was hard to tell under all his fuzz :(

I have had pokie males mature very small.
But if you say that you saw the hooks, then it is definately not a Poecilotheria as the males don't develop hooks at maturity.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have had pokie males mature very small.
But if you say that you saw the hooks, then it is definately not a Poecilotheria as the males don't develop hooks at maturity.
How small? What species? I'm asking just for curiosity sake I've never had a pokie male mature under 6 inches as of yet.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
How small? What species? I'm asking just for curiosity sake I've never had a pokie male mature under 6 inches as of yet.

Now you are testing my memory.
I have had males mature very small in communals. Think I had a P.fasciata around 10 or 11cm.

Timmy G

3 Year Member
IMG_20160227_061636.jpg
IMG_20160227_061636.jpg
I'm trying to identify this type of Pokie, any suggestions are welcome.
IMG_20160227_061636.jpg

Timmy G

3 Year Member
I don't think it's a Pokie. My suggestion is again a Heteroscodra maculata. Have you more informations (ow? size?)?

I'm sure it's still a Juvie as he is has a 1" body and long 3" legs. An acquaintance of mine bought him for his 8 year old son who ended up being terrified of it. He claimed he got it from a local pet store and it was advertised as King Ornament Baboon. I'm still new to the T hobby but gladly adopted it as I hate to see it get ignored. I was guessing at the Pokie class as he fit the general description but figured this is the best place to come for an educated guess.

I'm going to try and get a better picture once he's settled in. This T is LIGHTNING fast and a jumper, so I don't want to risk injuring him.

Thanks Nick!!!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
beautiful! Have zero clue as to what it is, I'd have taken it under those circumstances as well though, very nice!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah that's definitely not a pokie lol, looks like either a young H.maculata or S.calceatum. pokies don't have the polka dot pattern on the abdomen, that's an identifying feature of baboons.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
It's always the problem with common names and some dealers...

"King baboon" is Pelinobius muticus, a burrowing sp. which isn't like yours at all.

According to Jacobi, the common name of H maculata is either "Togo Starburst" or "Ornamental Baboon" which could mean yours is this one (+ a "king" to make it more appealing for a sale!). As Chubbs said, it could also be S calceatum, commonly called "Featherleg Baboon": it will be possible to know which is which when it grows bigger. My guess stays maculata.

In both cases, be very prudent: these aren't tarantulas to give to a child, because of their speed, defensiveness and very potent venom. Better for it to be in your place than being in a child's!!! Kudos to him because he was frightened: he had good reasons to be!

Timmy G

3 Year Member
It's always the problem with common names and some dealers...

"King baboon" is Pelinobius muticus, a burrowing sp. which isn't like yours at all.

According to Jacobi, the common name of H maculata is either "Togo Starburst" or "Ornamental Baboon" which could mean yours is this one (+ a "king" to make it more appealing for a sale!). As Chubbs said, it could also be S calceatum, commonly called "Featherleg Baboon": it will be possible to know which is which when it grows bigger. My guess stays maculata.

In both cases, be very prudent: these aren't tarantulas to give to a child, because of their speed, defensiveness and very potent venom. Better for it to be in your place than being in a child's!!! Kudos to him because he was frightened: he had good reasons to be!

The speed of this Juvie T was eye opening. I sat there and watched it jump from the top of the enclosure to the cork branch, to the ground and back. I was a little reluctant to take him, but knowing my friend I could imagine the worst. I won't be opening up this guy's habitat unless I need to. Beautiful T though. I'll let him settle in a bit and try and get a better pic.

Thanks guys !!

Timmy G

3 Year Member
Allrighty.. whatever this T is, it has a huge appetite. I threw in 1 cricket this morning and a second fell out by accident into the habitat. He absolutely pounced on both crickets within a second or two of them hitting the substrate. It ate one yesterday morning. Again, lightning speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20160228_073242778.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 18

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm sort of jealous! I need to know what this is for certain so I can wishlist it :p

Timmy G

3 Year Member
I'm sort of jealous! I need to know what this is for certain so I can wishlist it :p

I may be wrong but I'm agreeing with Chubbs and Nicolas about the Heteroscodra Maculata. I've done about 6 hours of internet reading and looking at pics. After reading about it's characteristics, this thing scares the sh*t out of me though. I gotta be real careful. I sat down with the kids (8 and 17) last night and explained how we will NOT be handling this one like we do the Rosea and Avic. Really cool to watch though.