• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

poecilotheria metallica feeding

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Hi guys just want to point something out and was wondering if anyone has a t that only eats at night. My p metallica I've only seen eat once ive had her for about 3 months now and she only eats at night I know shes eating cause I stick a locust in there at a evening time she dont seem interested then I check in the morning and sure enough no locust and a bigger abdomen. Exactly the same with my sling and she's a p metallica also is this just a gooty thing

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys just want to point something out and was wondering if anyone has a t that only eats at night. My p metallica I've only seen eat once ive had her for about 3 months now and she only eats at night I know shes eating cause I stick a locust in there at a evening time she dont seem interested then I check in the morning and sure enough no locust and a bigger abdomen. Exactly the same with my sling and she's a p metallica also is this just a gooty thing

Hello
My P.Metallica's eat at any stage of the day,morning afternoon or evening. So yours I can't explain,maybe a surroundings thing or enclosure. Since both,sling and juvie/adult are displaying the same behavior. Could be too much sunlight entering the area,or just the disturbance anything could be a factor.

StephanieM

3 Year Member
Please help! My Metallica sling does not eat often. Even after molting. It is approx 4 th instar. Still very intimidated by crickets. Eats 1 every 10-14 days Compared to my g. Pulchripes of approx same age the g pulchripes eats a 1/2 inch plus cricket every 3 days and would eat one daily if I allowd ? Is it wrong to compare them. From what I heard the p Metallica is a faster grower and more aggressive eater but certainly not the case with mine? Any advice would help!

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Please help! My Metallica sling does not eat often. Even after molting. It is approx 4 th instar. Still very intimidated by crickets. Eats 1 every 10-14 days Compared to my g. Pulchripes of approx same age the g pulchripes eats a 1/2 inch plus cricket every 3 days and would eat one daily if I allowd ? Is it wrong to compare them. From what I heard the p Metallica is a faster grower and more aggressive eater but certainly not the case with mine? Any advice would help!
Is the abdomen nice and plump. I find my p metallica is the most nervous of the pokies mine mostly eats at night to start off with my sling didn't eat for 2 months just make sure there's fresh water available at all times give the enclosure a spray every week or so I also cranked the heating up a bit gets cold in the UK (bloody uk weather ) then she started eating as long as her abdomen looks plump she's ok.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try giving it prekilled then.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
As soon as the abdomen is plump, and she's eating regularly, there's nothing to worry about. In my experience, P metallica can be fragile, especially when young. Beware not to keep them in a too moist environment, I've made this mistake before and am almost sure that it contributed to kill one of mine some years ago. As Chubbs said, why not try prekilled? It could work.