• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Plexiglass Enclosure Cover Help

etta

3 Year Member
Hi! I've been looking everywhere for a tutorial of how to build a plexiglass top for my T's enclosure so she doesn't get hurt, but I haven't been able to find much. I'm not very handy so this is something I'l probably need a lot of help with. If anyone could give me a hand with the directions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm guessing you're talking about in an exo-terra with the screen top?

This is how i'd do it.

1. Remove the T into a temp enclosure.
  2. measure the screen top, or remove it and take it with you.
  3. Purchase the plexi as close to that size as you can, most places that sell it will cut it for you.
  4. leave the protective film on the plexi and mark where you want your holes
  5. Use a metal work drill bit, or univeral work (metal, wood, and plastic). Don't use ones designated just for woodwork, they're not as sharp and will cause chips and cracks. Titanium or black oxide coated bits i think are the best.
  6. Drill the holes slowly, let drill do the work, but don't go to slow that you heat and melt the plexi.
  7. clean the edges of the holes, i just run my fingernail over them and scrape off any plastic ridges.
  8. remove the protective sheet and place it in the enclosure.
  9. Return the spider to it's home
  10. Drink a beer (or wine, whatever you prefer) and congratulate yourself on a job well done.
You might wanna buy 2 sheets, or keep the scraps if they have to cut it for you. You can practice drilling those to get a feel for it.

etta

3 Year Member
I'm guessing you're talking about in an exo-terra with the screen top?

This is how i'd do it.

1. Remove the T into a temp enclosure.
  2. measure the screen top, or remove it and take it with you.
  3. Purchase the plexi as close to that size as you can, most places that sell it will cut it for you.
  4. leave the protective film on the plexi and mark where you want your holes
  5. Use a metal work drill bit, or univeral work (metal, wood, and plastic). Don't use ones designated just for woodwork, they're not as sharp and will cause chips and cracks. Titanium or black oxide coated bits i think are the best.
  6. Drill the holes slowly, let drill do the work, but don't go to slow that you heat and melt the plexi.
  7. clean the edges of the holes, i just run my fingernail over them and scrape off any plastic ridges.
  8. remove the protective sheet and place it in the enclosure.
  9. Return the spider to it's home
  10. Drink a beer (or wine, whatever you prefer) and congratulate yourself on a job well done.
You might wanna buy 2 sheets, or keep the scraps if they have to cut it for you. You can practice drilling those to get a feel for it.

This is the best how-to I've seen so far, but would it work for the typical aquarium tank you can get at Petco? Right now she has the hard plastic mesh lid and I'm scared that she's going to get stuck in it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is the best how-to I've seen so far, but would it work for the typical aquarium tank you can get at Petco? Right now she has the hard plastic mesh lid and I'm scared that she's going to get stuck in it.

not sure on that, if it's a latching lid i'm guessing you'd need the same thickness plexi as the mesh so it still latches. If it's just a drop in place and go lid you may be able to remove the mesh and glue the plexi in its place.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
I did this with my t stirmi exo terra. The mesh is held in place with a sort of rubber/foam bead on the underside of the lid. You can peel this off and remove the mesh. Cut and drill like kormath said. With the lid turned over so the inside is facing up, place the plexi down, position and use a hot glue gun to spot fix the plexi. When this has dried use clear sanitary or aquarium sealer to permenently fix it in place. Just remember to let it fully cure for about 48 hours before you use it. If you dont the fumes could kill your T or the lid could come loose. Search my post divided exo terra in the enclosure section, i posted pics of it when i did the plexi lid.