• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pissed off T's

swimbait

3 Year Member
I personally don't see my pokies much, they have a thing for webbing the walls just enough so that you can hardly see in them. Plus they are usually also sorta hiding behind their bark. The only species of mine that are always out would be my big LP, some of my P. cambridgei, G. iheringi, GBB. Everything else hides. I happen to be a big fan of burrowers though, I love looking into my haplopelma(cyripagopus...) enclosures and just seeing a hole in the ground and nothing else

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The venom is understandable, but remember there are many New World species that fall under the categories of "fast" and "defensive". Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Ephebopus, Theraphosa, Xenesthis, Pamphobetus, Megaphobema, and even certain Avicularia. All of these can be defensive (some more so than others), and could be considered quite fast depending on your level of comfort and experience. Remember Tapinauchenius are often considered the fastest out of all tarantulas and they are NW. There are actually a few old worlds out there that are less defensive than some of these. Augacephalus ezendami while fast, are less unpredictable than some of the more well-known Baboon species, and rarely become defensive, plus their venom is pretty mild. Ceratogyrus are pretty defensive, but again are a bit slower than most other Old Worlds and easier to predict, and their venom is also mild for an OW.
Thanks @Chubbs something to think about :)

I'm breaking my teeth in on an A. versicolor now. So far he's the fastest of my collection, and is a friendly little guy so far. The one time he's gotten out while feeding he made it up to my shoulder and then just sat there, calm as can be watching. My son had to come in and help remove him, and my little dog got jealous and went off to pout as he likes to curl up on my shoulder on the couch and nap.

swimbait

3 Year Member
If you think Avics are fast you are in for quite the surprise when you move on to other species. Taps, pokies, pretty much any Asian T, even Psalmopoeus species, I think would destroy a avic in a foot race if possible

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally don't see my pokies much, they have a thing for webbing the walls just enough so that you can hardly see in them. Plus they are usually also sorta hiding behind their bark. The only species of mine that are always out would be my big LP, some of my P. cambridgei, G. iheringi, GBB. Everything else hides. I happen to be a big fan of burrowers though, I love looking into my haplopelma(cyripagopus...) enclosures and just seeing a hole in the ground and nothing else

Nice to hear you have a few campbridgei that don't hide..I'm curious how my two will turn out.Man like I said, they're gorgeous spiders, and I probably wouldn't really sell them, but the idea that it's a special treat to actually see some of mine really has stopped being cute and special, and just annoys me now.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice to hear you have a few campbridgei that don't hide..I'm curious how my two will turn out.Man like I said, they're gorgeous spiders, and I probably wouldn't really sell them, but the idea that it's a special treat to actually see some of mine really has stopped being cute and special, and just annoys me now.

On average, I find them to be much less reclusive than other Psalmopoeus.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you think Avics are fast you are in for quite the surprise when you move on to other species. Taps, pokies, pretty much any Asian T, even Psalmopoeus species, I think would destroy a avic in a foot race if possible
Which is exactly why i'm not moving to any of those yet :)

swimbait

3 Year Member

Out of my 10 sub adults, I can see at least half of them majority of the time. They are all set up in the gallon plastic jar style type containers, but they are bigger than a gallon. I have a piece of bark in each of them and they all pretty much did the same thing one way or another. They pick a side, or a corner web a wall from the bar to the side of the cage, and then cover the web with dirt. I can see them in there little hideouts from the side of the enclosure. I guess I shouldn't say they are out all the time, but visible. These are about 3.5-4" specimens I'm talking about. Only one has taken to the top of the cage not including any dirt in its web, acting little more arboreal. This one is out all the time I can see it by glancing at the enclosure. Even slings go both ways I have a sling now that's always hiding in the dirt and one that's always out and is webbing up its enclosure. Like chubbs said they are out more frequently than others in the genus. Irminia can go both ways too, I hardly ever see my pulchers.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Out of my 10 sub adults, I can see at least half of them majority of the time. They are all set up in the gallon plastic jar style type containers, but they are bigger than a gallon. I have a piece of bark in each of them and they all pretty much did the same thing one way or another. They pick a side, or a corner web a wall from the bar to the side of the cage, and then cover the web with dirt. I can see them in there little hideouts from the side of the enclosure. I guess I shouldn't say they are out all the time, but visible. These are about 3.5-4" specimens I'm talking about. Only one has taken to the top of the cage not including any dirt in its web, acting little more arboreal. This one is out all the time I can see it by glancing at the enclosure. Even slings go both ways I have a sling now that's always hiding in the dirt and one that's always out and is webbing up its enclosure. Like chubbs said they are out more frequently than others in the genus. Irminia can go both ways too, I hardly ever see my pulchers.
That's awesome. I don't expect any of them to be out all the time, but I like to see them occasionally. Like my Hapolopus Columbia LG slings, who web up and burrow, but are out regularly. My lividus was out when I got up this morning. I wont see her again for three or four months, at least. I moved my marshalli and lividus to 3 inches of substrate with a hide...it didn't help, they still stay hidden constantly. It was nice to see them for a few days though..

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for these inputs guys. I may have a couple of OWs soon as the ones I have on reserve are yet eggs with legs P. metallica. ;)

BLUE BEAUTY

3 Year Member
I hope they paid attention and not just nod at you to keep you sweet. Mainstream shops just jump on the bandwagon of what is a very interesting and rewarding hobby when done properly. Good for you for speaking up. Education education education!
Phil, Jan 17, 2016 Report

Went back and temp was down to 80.:T:;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Our main shops here, scales n tails, have pretty high prices for the T's. It'd be a much better deal to order online and pay shipping if you were getting several spiders. However this new shop by me, doesn't have horrible prices although they are still higher I prefer to pay. They had some 1.5" H macs for 30, 2-2.5" A.avics for 25, other things too I just don't remember prices. I think they have P. regalis 3" for 45$. It's nice to have for those impulse buys when you get the itch, but I do 90% of my shopping online. We have reptile expos too, and sometimes you can find some really good deals there too.
ok that would be a HUGE problem for me, I'd have avics everywhere! I absolutely adore those silly little floating menaces :D

Latest posts