• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pissed off T's

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my heart sank when I found them.
I hope they paid attention and not just nod at you to keep you sweet. Mainstream shops just jump on the bandwagon of what is a very interesting and rewarding hobby when done properly. Good for you for speaking up. Education education education!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
HA! Weak lol! It's been over 1 1/2 years and I've only got 9!!!
I must say, having a husband who's not that into pets and only one shelf allocated for the Ts helps keeping me in tow lol.
i hear ya its been a year since i got my first one and i only have 5. but i my wife keeps me well in check. also i feel like if i cant make them all display animals i dont need em. i like to walk in and look across the shelf and see what they r all up.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i hear ya its been a year since i got my first one and i only have 5. but i my wife keeps me well in check. also i feel like if i cant make them all display animals i dont need em. i like to walk in and look across the shelf and see what they r all up.
As my collection grows, I've often thought that if I had it to do over again, I would not purchase any obligate hiders, arboreal or terrestrial. They just take up shelf space, and never show themselves. I might still sell or trade a few of mine to someone who doesn't mind having a box of dirt to look at. Obts, irminia, C lividus, C marshalli, all gorgeous, all pet holes. If its just some of the time, fine, but staying hidden forever is a bunch of bull poopy. Makes me want to go over and shake their enclosures, and poke at them with a stick. That'll learn 'em.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As my collection grows, I've often thought that if I had it to do over again, I would not purchase any obligate hiders, arboreal or terrestrial. They just take up shelf space, and never show themselves. I might still sell or trade a few of mine to someone who doesn't mind having a box of dirt to look at. Obts, irminia, C lividus, C marshalli, all gorgeous, all pet holes. If its just some of the time, fine, but staying hidden forever is a bunch of bull poopy. Makes me want to go over and shake their enclosures, and poke at them with a stick. That'll learn 'em.
Totally agree. I've been frustrated with my B. albo pet holes. I bought them saw them when I put them in their homes and have seen them once since unless I go look at them by moving something just to see they're alive. Or if they've dug the burrow against the wall. Then I get to catch a glimpse lol

Last edited:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Totally agree. I've been frustrated with my B. albo pet holes. I bought them saw them when I put them in their homes and have seen them once since unless I go look at them by moving something just to see they're alive. Or if they've dug the burrow against the wall. Then I get to catch a glimpse lol
well if they are just little slings they seem to hide themselves alot until they get bigger.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah like i said mass i like to display all of mine and look at all at once. i want a pet spider not a box of dirt. i keep to the more "social" ones. i use that term loosely..lol

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is exactly the point, I would like to keep them as display Ts and my dozen is pushing it thin in making it a reality. ;)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Was LMAO with your post @MassExodus !

Maybe you can share which ones are pet holes so that I can avoid them. How about A. chaocana and P. metallica, are they good display Ts?

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My albo has grown so much faster than my other Brachys and it has not burrowed anymore now that it is close to 2 inches DLS. I guess am lucky with my Albus then. :cool:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey @MassExodus ! You've been liking my posts but you haven't answered my query yet. So what are they, the chacoana and Pmet, are they good display Ts? I have seen videos that Pmets are constantly hiding in their cork barks though.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Hey @MassExodus ! You've been liking my posts but you haven't answered my query yet. So what are they, the chacoana and Pmet, are they good display Ts? I have seen videos that Pmets are constantly hiding in their cork barks though.

Well they are pokies.... What do you mean by display T? Always out in the open? Honestly if that's what you want a lot of Avics stay out and LPs are always out as adults. Every specimen is different, there is no guaranteeing with any species you buy that it will stay out in the open

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I guess you're right @swimbait , it will pretty much fall to individual T personality. I am inkling on buying a Pmet. Found a seller here with 1 incher slings at $38 (converted it to USD).

What I meant by display T is a T that stays mostly out in the open when mature, where guests can ohh and ahh as you display them in your living room. :p

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd say they're both great display spiders. I don't have a chocoana but my metallica is out constantly. A few of my favorite youtubers have chocoanas though, and they seem to be the same as genics, always out, big pretty spiders. If you're eliminating hiders from your list, start with 90% of old world species, lol. Also, know that you are eliminating some of the prettiest spiders in the hobby :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OW have never been on my list. They are beautiful but i think they're a bit much for me. I'm not ready for their speed and temperament, may never be.

I'm happy with my NW collection and the only thing keeping me from shaking the enclosure like you posted earlier is that mine are still really small slings and should come out in the open when they grow more :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OW have never been on my list. They are beautiful but i think they're a bit much for me. I'm not ready for their speed and temperament, may never be.

I'm happy with my NW collection and the only thing keeping me from shaking the enclosure like you posted earlier is that mine are still really small slings and should come out in the open when they grow more :)
The venom is understandable, but remember there are many New World species that fall under the categories of "fast" and "defensive". Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius, Ephebopus, Theraphosa, Xenesthis, Pamphobetus, Megaphobema, and even certain Avicularia. All of these can be defensive (some more so than others), and could be considered quite fast depending on your level of comfort and experience. Remember Tapinauchenius are often considered the fastest out of all tarantulas and they are NW. There are actually a few old worlds out there that are less defensive than some of these. Augacephalus ezendami while fast, are less unpredictable than some of the more well-known Baboon species, and rarely become defensive, plus their venom is pretty mild. Ceratogyrus are pretty defensive, but again are a bit slower than most other Old Worlds and easier to predict, and their venom is also mild for an OW.

Latest posts