• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pissed off T's

Matthaus

3 Year Member
So, Wednesday, My Giant white knee... She is an extremely aggressive T, she gives absolutely no warning signs before attempting to bite.
Luckily I haven't experienced this yet, I used a paint brush to just see her temperament. and I just very gently touched her leg and she went straight to biting. And I had fed about 3 days ago. Dropped a cricket in and she didn't take any notice at all.

I'm hoping she grows out of it, if not. It isn't an issue really. I barely have my hands in their tanks.
DSC_0194.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So far mine is opposite. Retreats to his hide anytime you get near his enclosure. He did come out to watch while I was feeding the others last night, but when I opened his enclosure he ran back to his hide and did the ostrich in the sand. Just went in enough to cover his eyes.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine just sits there or slowly toddles away. I wouldn't put my bare hands near her, because she's an eating machine, but she's never threatened or flicked, I'd almost class her as docile (if she weren't a Genic, lol).

Matthaus

3 Year Member
Oh awesome! Glad to know that I'm not the only one. It would certainly be nice if she was more docile. But it goes without saying really, that, she is still part of the family and I'm happy to have her!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both of mine are irritable, the sling and the adult. The adult will not hesitate to bite..she wont slap my hand like my Lp has done a few times, or flick hairs like the little one, she'll go straight to biting. Although since I've started keeping her moist like a Pampho, she seems happier, less defensive and pissy.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
Both of mine are irritable, the sling and the adult. The adult will not hesitate to bite..she wont slap my hand like my Lp has done a few times, or flick hairs like the little one, she'll go straight to biting. Although since I've started keeping her moist like a Pampho, she seems happier, less defensive and pissy.
How do you keep her moist?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a Gatorade bottle with holes drilled in the cap, and simulate rain on one half of her enclosure. I let that dry out and then do the other side. I always have plenty of cross ventilation and let it dry out completely, to avoid mold and other bad stuff. It's very easy to overdo it though, you have to find a nice balance because if its too wet all the time you're going to have problems. Moist, not wet, and many experienced keepers mix eco earth with vermiculite and potting soil, to hold moisture better.

Matthaus

3 Year Member
I use a Gatorade bottle with holes drilled in the cap, and simulate rain on one half of her enclosure. I let that dry out and then do the other side. I always have plenty of cross ventilation and let it dry out completely, to avoid mold and other bad stuff. It's very easy to overdo it though, you have to find a nice balance because if its too wet all the time you're going to have problems. Moist, not wet, and many experienced keepers mix eco earth with vermiculite and potting soil, to hold moisture better.

South Africa is also in a drought at the moment, and the area I'm in is extremely dry. So i have to rely on my own methods of keeping the humidity up, When it rains. the humidity shoots right up. So watching the weather has now become my new thing to do ever since i got my Ts haha so i can estimate what will be needed and such...

Wg25

3 Year Member
Glad to see a felow South-African on the forum! My A.geniculata is exactly the same. Even the slightest nudge with a brush will throw her straight into attack mode. Very aggressive. She doesn't flick hair or threat pose. Just very very defensive! But man they are awesome! One of my favourite Tarantulas. Since the drought I've just been giving some of my species more water and also gently spray cold water over the substrate. They seem to really enjoy it :)
Hoop om vinneg weer van jou te hoor ;)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Glad to see a felow South-African on the forum! My A.geniculata is exactly the same. Even the slightest nudge with a brush will throw her straight into attack mode. Very aggressive. She doesn't flick hair or threat pose. Just very very defensive! But man they are awesome! One of my favourite Tarantulas. Since the drought I've just been giving some of my species more water and also gently spray cold water over the substrate. They seem to really enjoy it :)
Hoop om vinneg weer van jou te hoor ;)
This sounds more like just a feeding response, not defensive behavior. As mentioned above, this species has a very very aggressive feeding response typical of large South America terrestrials and will mistake anything that moves for food.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This sounds more like just a feeding response, not defensive behavior. As mentioned above, this species has a very very aggressive feeding response typical of large South America terrestrials and will mistake anything that moves for food.
And there are lots of species like this, I have several with monstrous feeding habits, including my adult female genic. But intent isn't a consideration here, lol, and the heavy hitter with the 3/4" fangs will ruin your maintenance day regardless, when she shakes hands with you :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son's GBB has become a very aggressive eater since his last molt. He's struck at the brush my son was using to gently tap the roach caught in the web to get Marley's attention. Scared the crap out of them both. Didn't phase Marley much as the roach then started struggling in the web and became insta-food. Good learning experience for my son though, he's a bit more leary now and doesn't think they're a pet to be held quite as much as he used to. He still tries but he's much more alert with him now.