• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pinhead roaches - Invasive?

Meludox

3 Year Member
I know that Dubia do not infest homes, and I thought the same about pinhead roaches which are newborn rusty reds but on DubiaRoaches.com's site they say that they can infest. I'm freaking out a little here because I have lost at least two whilst trying to feed my versi sling.

I figured that they wouldn't infest because they're babies and they'll just starve, right? Someone tell me I'm right. :eek:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
if you're lucky ;) yes they are invasive, they can breed at room temp i've been reading. I believe someone here has posted that they're competing with the Orientals for control of the Southern US.

I've been lucky (so far, knock on wood) that i haven't lost any yet.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
get a few lizards and let them roam the house for a few days lol. You may be okay with pinheads. If they have nothing to eat they won't last long.

A google search shows they've invaded the southern US, first discovered in the later 1970s in California, thought to be carried back from the middle east unknowingly by soldiers and equipment. Wikipedia is incorrect as usual saying the adult males can fly, numerous other places note they can't fly, but sometimes will jump.

If they do survive it's said they won't reproduce at temps under 75F.